QHY5 is stressing me out

SteveA

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Steve,

Apologies for resurrecting an old post, but I am having exactly the same issue myself.  My QH5Y was working perfectly until I needed to re-install XP on my laptop, where it has started doing exactly the same thing in PHD with the horizontal bands and random noise.  QGVideo works absolutely fine, which is quite bizarre!

I also found that the noise reduction option in PHD improved the issue, and I have actually been guiding successfully with the issue present however it is an annoying issue which I would like to resolve.

Did you every try out one of the older QHY5 drivers from one of the others in this post thread??  Would be interested if this made any difference!

Thanks,

- Jason

Hi Jason.

Hopefully you will get a solution from Steve but if you you are refering to me as the other poster re the old original QHY 5 driver I can email to you if you need it.

I emailed it Steve but I think he got sorted without it.

I was using (for the 1st time in ages) my rig on Monday night and old faithful QHY5 it was still working great. :smiley:

PM me with your email address if you want me to send it ....although as your QHY5 is at least being recognised then it might not help.

Cheers

Tom

Thanks for sending the old drivers through

Unfortunately I could not get the older driver to work (v1024) at all.  The only one that worked was the more recent 2013 driver, which presented the same problem.

Worth a shot though!

- Jason

Oh well it was worth a try anyway,

Did you use the enclosed uninstall tool to remove any drivers before trying the new ones as I know things didn't work for me unless I did that 1st.

hope you get sorted

Tom

• 3 months later...

Damn and blast!....the problem is is back?...more stress.

I'm fairly sure there is a hardware problem with the camera..it was working fine the other night and now (no changes made) I'm back to square one. clearly the PHD solution was a red herring!

I think I'm going to stop wasting time and get myself another guide camera...I'd rather be imaging than wasting precious clear nights messing with this *******

I believe that there is something to running older versions of PHD. 

Here's a comparison of PHD 2 (2.3.0) vs PHD 1.13.0b. 

I had a very noisy screen with the latest PHD 1.14x, have to do a little trial and error to find the newest version that's Ok.

post-26753-0-62494300-1405308708_thumb.p

post-26753-0-38984100-1405308715_thumb.p

Damn and blast!....the problem is is back?...more stress.

I'm fairly sure there is a hardware problem with the camera..it was working fine the other night and now (no changes made) I'm back to square one. clearly the PHD solution was a red herring!

I think I'm going to stop wasting time and get myself another guide camera...I'd rather be imaging than wasting precious clear nights messing with this *******

For anyone still suffering from this, I've found that the last working version of PHD is this one:

Anything newer (1_13_6 or 1.14x or 2.x) does not work and produces noisy data.  2.x seems to be the noisiest.  Hopefully that helps out.

The older versions can be downloaded here: http://www.stark-labs.com/OldVersions/Windows/

Steve

Archived