NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Maximum scope on a SuperPolaris

Helen

I've got a Super Polaris driven mount which I'm about to lend to a friend so that he can try imaging with his DSLR. At the moment he hasn't got a scope but is looking to get one. He would also like to use the scope for viewing with his kids. If it were purely imaging I'd certainly recommend an ED80, but something a bit bigger might work better for viewing. What's the maximum you'd recommend? Would an 8 inch newt be too much??? Would the 6inch newt be better?

Thanks

Helen

I have a none driven super Polaris and use a sky watcher 6" (150p f5) have no problems at all with the weight of this and even had it out the other night in the wind and still very stable, I would say it could hold a 8" no probs for viewing. I can't comment on imaging as i don't do any yet. Hope this helps

If it's the one with the aluminum legs then those are more of a limiting factor than the mount is. I used to have a 4" F/10 refractor on an SP mount with aluminum legs and that was fine for visual observing but it might not have coped with imaging. Celestron used to market an 8" SCT on the SP mount (albeit with a wooden tripod) but I reckon a 6" SCT or Mak would be a more satisfying. Likewise an F/5 or F/6 6" newtonian would be OK but an F/8 would be too much because of the tube length.

If it's the one with the aluminum legs then those are more of a limiting factor than the mount is. I used to have a 4" F/10 refractor on an SP mount with aluminum legs and that was fine for visual observing but it might not have coped with imaging. Celestron used to market an 8" SCT on the SP mount (albeit with a wooden tripod) but I reckon a 6" SCT or Mak would be a more satisfying. Likewise an F/5 or F/6 6" newtonian would be OK but an F/8 would be too much because of the tube length.

The C8 was much more suited to the Great Polaris (I have one), which is a lot more sturdy. Celestron has a history of undermounting scopes.

Archived