Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ5 or Vixen GP2?

I would suggest a whole different mount if your aim is only visual. From my experience, an equatorial mount is a bit awkward to aim and track if not equipped with motors. It needs getting used to, then you'll fine.

Having said that, for visual - and I'm sure a lot of members will agree - the more convenient option is an alt-azimuth mount.  Something like this will handle your 120mm refractor just fine. BTW, if your refractor has a long focal length, I'd suggest you avoid any mounts with aluminum tripods. They should take your refractor, but there will be a degree of vibration. A good mount with flimsy tripod is not the way to go.

Hi Emad, a quick alt-az setup would be nice for hopping around, but I'm keen to try an equatorial mount with motors for extended observation and maybe some sketches. Wobbles worry me, but I've tried hefting a friends HEQ5 around and it's just too heavy, won't be any fun. I think my choice is between an EQ5 or GP2, but don't know which would be sturdier, or whether it doesn't matter much, in which case the EQ5 is cheaper.

I know you're talking about a 120mm frac but I've used a 8" newt (1000mm length) on an eq5 (with motors) and it tracked for ages so I'd imagine the 120 frac would be fairly similar in weight/length. only upgraded for A.P. so I'd have no hesitation to recommend it but have had no experience with the vixen, sorry

Scott

@ Rowan46: Glad to hear an aye for the GP2, thanks. Does 'better' mean 'wobbles less', or 'less periodic error', or both?

@Emad: That is a good deal, but I don't want to spend money on GOTO. I enjoy fumbling with my charts in the dark. Maybe I'll tire of that and get GOTO someday though.

@ Rowan46: Glad to hear an aye for the GP2, thanks. Does 'better' mean 'wobbles less', or 'less periodic error', or both?

@Emad: That is a good deal, but I don't want to spend money on GOTO. I enjoy fumbling with my charts in the dark. Maybe I'll tire of that and get GOTO someday though.

I went back to star maps myself, rarely use goto.

Vixen equatorials are really well engineered and finished to a much higher standard than the EQ5's which are OK but basically Chinese copies of Vixen's Super and Great Polaris mounts. That said, the EQ5 will do a solid job for visual observing and costs a lot less. The declination motor of the EQ5 is somewhat vulnerable to getting bashed I found. The Celestron CG5 is another option which is basically the same as the EQ5 but on a 2" steel tubed tripod which is somewhat more solid than the EQ5's 1.75" one.

I'm now an alt-azimuth fan with such scopes though and use a Giro-type mount or the Skywatcher SkyTee 2 to carry my ED120 refractor.

I have a 120mm on a cq5 and its very sturdy, the vixen is better made but the difference in price is just too great. Get the cq5/eq5 and then spend a little time tuning it then there's no difference and you have saved a packet. The cq5 has a better tripod like the eq6 and makes a big difference, I have had my 10"OO on it and for visual is still more than enough.

@John: I'd be intereseted in the CG5 but it looks like they only make the GOTO version now so I've sort of dismissed them. Occassionally come up second hand though. I am also interested in the 120ED, hoping to get a look through one at Kelling Heath this year.

@LeeB: Sounds sensible, and I've tended to agree that the Vixen mount looks lovely but the accessories (motors, polar scopes etc) are very expensive. Must be great for imaging though.

Ok, to summarise - it seems like I can't go too far wrong with either mount, the tripod contributes to the stability, and many seem to end up with Alt-az mounts. But I still want to try an equatorial for myself.

Thanks everyone!

Archived