NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My First M33 in OSC

lensman57

Hi,

After nearly two weeks of clouds and rain, last night at about 12.30 am weather improved. It took me nearly an hour to set up and get things rolling. I opted for M33 as I wanted to do a galaxy and picked M33 as I had not imaged this one yet . Guiding was good, flat line graph in PHD so I set the Artemis capture to do a run of 21 subs of 450s each and I came in for a cup of tea at about 1.30 am, after about a 1/2 hour I returned to check how things were going only to find out that for some reason Artemis had failed to save the subs to the folder. Any how I almost packed up , but decided to give it another go. The attached image is the result, 23 subs of 450s, No darks, Flats and Bias frames. Atik 428 EX OSC, SW ED80 @ F6.4, IDAS LPV2, Baader UV/IR, HEQ5 guided by PHD and GPUSB, 50 mm guidescope with ASI 120mm. Processed entirely in StarTools and PS .Despite doing the flats there is still a large darkish patch that has not been corrected. Thanks for looking

Regards,

A.G

post-28808-0-46635400-1378749147_thumb.p

Hi,

I have done a reprocess the data and I think that it is an improvement, a more effective star mask and less saturation to help prevent the magenta halos round the brighter stars. BTW if anyone has a pointer as how to process the file in Pixinsight I would be grateful as my 45 day licence is about to expire. The data was processed in StarTools and finished off in PS. I have reduced the size to help quicker upload.

Many thanks and regards,

A.G

post-28808-0-07515300-1378795786_thumb.p

Nice image. The reprocess is better. This is a very difficult object, of low surface brightness. There are still some issues with noise because of that (cannot be helped with a short run of data).

I do wonder sometimes what noise reduction method is used within star-tools/PS. I have a feeling that some of these shrink-wrapped image processing tools introduce artefacts that might be avoided (which is why I like to use tools like MatLab and ImageJ, or write my own code in C(++)).

Lovely image. Why not have a crack at doing some darks, if you can be quite sure they're close to the same temp, to add to the image to reduce noise? A lot of people use master darks for later use.

Alexxx

Hi Alex,

I already have done them this morning, I guess that this is an advantage of a ccd with setpoint cooling. I will reprocess and post a new image if it is a significant improvement.

Regards,

A.G

Archived