NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Thinking of getting a 200P

I am thinking of getting a Skywatcher Explorer 200p for DSOs.

I already have an Evostar 120ed DS-pro.

Light pollution is pretty bad here in West Bromwich, skyglow reaches almost halfway up the sky.

The 120ed is fantastic at splitting doubles and viewing planets but I can't get any decent views

of DSOs with it. I don't know if this is due to the light pollution or that I just need a bigger

aperture (the dreaded aperture fever strikes again) or both.

Will the views through the 200P be any better?

My thought was to put both scopes side by side on a SkyTee-2. Would this be possible?

Avtar

Great size aperture, if you can handle the size and bulk of the scope (ask around, as i dont own one but they are a bit big). Light pollution can be fought by the use of filters. These filters wont make anything anything look like you are observing from a dark sky location, but they do help.

I'm pretty sure many people on SGL like in a similar type location and they own the same scope.

Hi Avtar. I have the 200P and live in Bristol so also have light pollution. Its a cracking scope and I'd say go for it. I find that light pollution can vary greatly depending on the air quality, on occasion I can see the Milky Way from my garden but then on other nights as you say, the glow can cover half the sky. But for sure you'll get the chance to see some dso's. Go on treat yourself ;)

Avtaram...............dont wait too long matey, Ive seen a small price rise this week while ive been looking around for the best prices. Unfortunately I accrue heavy postal charges due to my location, but your scope is available for £249 with FREE delivery in UK if your prepaired to wait up to SIX working days, but you can get it in 3 days for £9.99. Check out PB? a Photographic shop in Bungay, Suffolk (genuine retailer too) pity they wanted so much to get a scope to me, but its the couriers that make those demands. Im sure £249 is a great deal at present. take care.

Hi Avtar,

With regard to mounting on a SkyTee-2 looks like it is possible. According to Teleskop Express the OTA weighs in at 8.8kgs and Optical Vision (OVL) say the SkyTee-2 can handle upto 15kgs on each arm.

Archived