Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lyra Optic 66mm F/6 ED

Got myself a lovely short refractor for cycling and astronomy. Some pics for you, the rest of the stuff (tripod, mount, bag to carry) are still pending :). Just tried it on my DSLR as a lens, it's not the easiest thing to hand hold! But it seems to give no CA that I can notice. I'll try and tripod mount it later and give some test shots.

It does say ED APO on it, so perhaps it is apochromatic :D.

P.S. Apologies for some of the camera shake...

post-22804-0-13873700-1378476188_thumb.j

post-22804-0-85452800-1378476200_thumb.j

post-22804-0-92270800-1378476215_thumb.j

post-22804-0-14590900-1378476231_thumb.j

post-22804-0-29881400-1378476245_thumb.j

post-22804-0-30223000-1378476258_thumb.j

post-22804-0-34362400-1378476267_thumb.j

Oh, look it that. Sexy!! :) Congrats for your new baby!

Is it for grab and go purposes?

Cycling mainly :).

I consider all my scopes to be equally grab and go because they all take 2 or 3 trips down 3 flights of stairs...

Why would you want an ED guide scope? Pretty expensive for just guiding, don't you think?!

I was thinking the same as Dan, could use it for widefiid imaging to compliment a longer focal length main scope when not guiding of course, it would save swapping scopes about :)

I do very much miss my WO66 :(

im after one of these as a guide scope/wide field scope look forward to first light

You'll probably need to get it from TS Optics, I got the last one from Lyra Optics ;). I think they are no longer being manufactured, but I could be wrong.

First light may be some time off, it's hammering it down with rain...

I was thinking the same as Dan, could use it for widefiid imaging to compliment a longer focal length main scope when not guiding of course, it would save swapping scopes about :)

I do very much miss my WO66 :(

I think this is the same scope as the WO66, just re-badged.

Well, I had a quick first light and I'm disappointed. With my current set-up I don't have enough in / out focus in order to get focus. Either I just use the supplied 1.25" screw-in adapter and I don't get sufficient out-focus, or I use the screw-fit adapter and my 2" diagonal with 2" to 1.25" adapter. Perhaps I need a screw-fit 1.25" diagonal?

On the plus side though, I took the 1.25" adapter out and held the eyepiece where it should be, and the view was marvellous, lovely sharp stars with not a hint of CA. Some vignetting but that was due to the way I was holding the eyepiece ;).

Well, I had a quick first light and I'm disappointed. With my current set-up I don't have enough in / out focus in order to get focus. Either I just use the supplied 1.25" screw-in adapter and I don't get sufficient out-focus, or I use the screw-fit adapter and my 2" diagonal with 2" to 1.25" adapter. Perhaps I need a screw-fit 1.25" diagonal?

On the plus side though, I took the 1.25" adapter out and held the eyepiece where it should be, and the view was marvellous, lovely sharp stars with not a hint of CA. Some vignetting but that was due to the way I was holding the eyepiece ;).

Hi Jonathan,

You just need a standard push fit 1.25" diagonal. Leave the 1.25" adapter in place and just fit the 1.25" diagonal and then hey presto you're in the focus range. You don't need a screw fit diagonal. Of course you can use the SCT- 2"" adapter with a 2" diagonal and 1.25" eyepiece adapter.

Clear Skies,

Glen.

Lyra Optic.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived