NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Surprizing VdB152

ollypenrice

Now if I'd known that darned dust lane were going to be so long I'd have rotated the cameras! Still, it made for an exciting surprize this morning.

Van den Burgh 152/Cederblad 201 amidst the dust clouds of Cepheus. Tom's and my FSQ1O6/Atik1100/EM200 rigs totallng 12.5 Hrs over two nights. LRGB.

This is a widefield processing. I ought to do a fresh processing job just for the main object. The difference would be the amount of star reduction (more to get the widefield to look in scale with itself.)

VDB152%2012.5Hrs-XL.jpg

Bigger http://ollypenrice.s... 12.5Hrs-X3.jpg

Edit; the curious red/green object above left of the reflection nebula is PN G111.0+11.6 discovered by Dengle et al in 1980. (If I'm not mistaken!)

Olly

Despite cutting off the tail, this is a great image. I really like the way that you've processed for the dust, it looks very natural and not at all forced.

Thanks. Yes, the fun with an image like this is stretching the dust into visibility without stretching the field stars and blowing up the noise.

Knowing that noise would be an issue even with 21x15 and 4x10 mins luminance I also extracted a synthetic luminance from the RGB and blended that with the real lum, weighted at one third of the real L per unit time of exposure. Using two cameras is great. Cosmetic cleaning of any kind is a thing of the past. The noise reduction it brings is wizard.

Olly

great FOV Olly,

There was a line of red nebulosity to the left from VDB. Strange it's not there. Like here:

http://www.tvdavisas...es-1_0000ee.htm

Mark

Thanks for the tip-off Mark. At first I couldn't see it but there is a bit of signal there. I'll work on it. Again, thanks. Great bit of advice.

Olly

Archived