NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

300P Flextube, first light.

TractionMan

At last, time for first light. The scope had been outside for about and hour and a half or so to cool down. Prior to this I had pretty much decided to only go for familiar objects instead of trying to bag new ones. I knew the view would be much better than with my 6", but I wasn't quite prepared for just how much better they'd be. However it stared with a small disappointment, not because of the scope or anything like that. It's just that I had planned to start off with M13 to see it in all it's glory with a larger scope. Unfortunately, while I checked collimation (still spot on) and adjusted the finder scopes, it went behind some trees. Oh well, I'll just have to go out earlier next time.

Anyway, I decided to give M57 a go instead. Wow, it was alot brighter than through the 6" and the shape alot clearer. Slowly went higher on magnification and it stood out very crisp and clear. Very nice. A small cloud slowly got in front of it and sure, I could have waited a couple of minutes for it to go away, but I wanted to see more. So next up was M27. To find it I usually find Sagitta and go from there and that's what I did this time as well. But while I was there (Sagitta) I thought I'd have a quick look at M71 as well. It's an object that's been nothing but a very faint smudge through the 6" so it could be interesting to see the difference through the 12". Another wow moment. It just jumped out. No longer a faint smudge, it resolved into stars quite nicely. More so when I increased the magnification slightly. I'm so impressed with this dob. Ok back on course and to the target I was set on, M27. The shape was very obvious. So beautiful! Even better with the UHC. Yet another wow moment. Is there no end? Not that that I want it to end of course. Next it was time for one of my favourites, M31. Quickly jumped to the right location and WHAM! So bright! My jaw probably hit the ground. And could this really be? Dust lanes? I lost track of time just admiring the galaxy. M32 and M110 popped into view easier than ever as well. Although I couldn't get all of them in the FOV. Had to go up early today so I rounded off the session with a peek at the Veil Nebula. This was only the third time I've seen it and obviously the difference from the 6" was, in my opinion, HUGE!

I got to bed a happy man. Very glad I decided to get the 12" dob.

I was amazed by the difference when I went from a 90mm to a 200m ,particularly globs. so I can imagine your 12" will be superb. cant wait to hear what you make of m13 . it blew me away with the 8".

Archived