Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A quick M13

OzDave

Mostly as a learning experience, I had a go at M13 last night in RGB. I shot 6x10min subs in each channel using my MN190. Data calibrated and processed in PixInsight. Like my last image, I'm not massively please with the stars, which let's face it, is what this target is all about. I suspect I'll be having another go at processing this (this is already attempt number 3). This is a 50% resample and cropped for framing. One day maybe my processing will be good enough to post a full resolution image.

post-4797-0-96394500-1378458191_thumb.pn

Very nice shot indeed.

Funny enough - I remember M13 as one of a number of Messier objects I found accidentally while sweeping the sky with a small refractor. It then appeared as a ''luminous smudge''...up until then the only M13 I knew of was a type of assault rifle :D :D

Dave - I can see why you may not be happy with the stars but it's a lovely image all the same - the colours are there and stars are resolved all the way into the core - and are sharp all the way in. I'd be delighted with this were it mine :)

James

Just had a look back at my previous attempt at M13, 3 years ago.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/67908-my-first-dso-m13-last-night/

I guess it is fair to say I've got a bit better, although the comparison is a little unfair with a DSLR vs CCD and Bayer Colour vs RGB filters. Nevertheless, it is always interesting to look back at previous attempts on the same target. Looking forward to Christmas to see what sort of a job I can do on M1 compared to my last attempt with DSLR.

OK, the stars are not perfect and have halos (I sometimes get those too when using mono + filters) but this is a lovely image with lots of the peripheral stars on display yet a nicely presented core. I'd be smiling if it was mine ......

What brand of filters do you use?

OK, the stars are not perfect and have halos (I get sometimes get those too when using mono + filters) but this is a lovely image with lots of the peripheral stars on display yet a nicely presented core. I'd be smiling if it was mine ......

Thanks Steve.

I think I possibly suffered a bit from tunnel vision when processing this. I focused too much on keeping the core from blowing out and forgot about the peripheral stars. I also think that some pre-stretching noise reduction might have contributed to the external star bloat. Possibly I can solve this in a reprocess with better masking like I used to stop the core blow out. I'll have another go I reckon next week.

I'm also influenced by this post: http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/185317-m13-rgb/

I think the external stars in that image are done much better than in mine. However, I like my core better. We'll see how it goes in a re-spin.

Archived