NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Where can I find what to observe this week ?

stevend

I was asked this by a friend yesterday about how I decide what to look for in the night sky, and he enquired 'Do you just look on the internet ? ' I said that the internet certainly helps and that there were sites where I could get good information. As these can be very useful I wanted to share both for less experienced like myself and possibly for some of the old hands as well.

I often check these sites, and although there is often overlap sometimes one site picks something up the others do not.

Of course, there is the monthly guide on SGL http://stargazerslou...monthly-guides/

Jodrell Bank do a monthly night sky guide: http://www.jodrellba...onomy/nightsky/

Astronomy magazine have a weekly guide: http://www.astronomy...ber 8 2013.aspx

National Geographic do a weekly sky events: http://newswatch.nat...us-grazes-moon/

If anyone has any other suggestions please share.

All very useful. There's another way, more traditional way, which is to use a planisphere, a map, and a year-round observing list. Set the planisphere to the date and time when you're observing and turn it so that you can see what will be lying approximately due south (or if you don't have a southerly view, which ever direction you'll be looking in). Then consult your map (e.g. S&T Pocket Sky Atlas) and look for objects in the chosen area which are on your observing list. NGC numbers make this very easy because the objects are in (approximate) order of Right Ascension.

This doesn't work for planets, but apart from Uranus and Neptune the planets are so conspicuous to the naked eye that you don't need to plan - if they're in the sky then you'll see them. Ditto the Moon, of course.

For observing lists, the Messiers are the obvious start, and the Caldwells include a lot of easy showpieces. For non-Messier DSOs I recommend this list:

http://messier.seds.org/xtra/similar/rasc-ngc.html

This is the method I've used since I started observing. These days I choose a particular part of the sky (a single chart of my atlas) and work through objects on that. More efficient than sweeping all over the sky or trying to chase holes in the cloud.

These days I choose a particular part of the sky (a single chart of my atlas) and work through objects on that.

That is what I am currently doing, plus checking a star map and sites like above for alternatives in case of cloud, bad LP.

A couple years ago I bought my wife (who is a school teacher) and myself each an IPAD 3. We use it all the time. When I go to bed its in my lap and Im usually reading up on one of my various hobbies or just reading a good old fashioned book. My wife uses hers to control smart boards at school etc. The point is that I use Sky Safari pro on my Ipad and I use it to plan my viewing for that night....weather permitting. The brightness of the view can be turned down and Sky Safari has a feature that turns the screen soft red so that with the reduced brightness it is very limiting on your night vision.

It is with this program on my Ipad that I determine what it is I am going to try and accomplish that night. In addition if you chronicle your viewing each session its actually quite amazing to go back in time and read your journal and view your progress as an amateur astronomer and how you can see in your own journal your increase in ability, skill and knowledge of a vastly technical hobby.

I am not saying Sky Safari pro is the best out there...but if you've got a table (android or Ipad) then I highly recommend it. If you have a laptop then the Stellarium software is decent if you can place a red filter sheet over the screen so it does not blind you. Either way it is a really good way to learn the night sky, work up a plan for that night(filters and Eyepieces) and to chronicle your exploits in your journal so that X seeing condition netted the best results using X EP with X filter....etc.

Doing this makes(IMO) a nights viewing session much more enjoyable and gives one a sense of accomplishment when you finally turn off the scope and go to bed.

I am not saying Sky Safari pro is the best out there...but if you've got a table (android or Ipad) then I highly recommend it. If you have a laptop then the Stellarium software is decent if you can place a red filter sheet over the screen so it does not blind you.

Maybe I should have rephrased in the OP. I can get myself around the night sky reasonably ok and use various apps like eg Stellarium. I just find websites that do these weekly and monthly guides helpful at times, to remind or inform me what else is going on up there, especially when time is short.

Just sharing the ones I have used in case it helps others, and if other members have their own recommendations.

A couple years ago I bought my wife (who is a school teacher) and myself each an IPAD 3. We use it all the time. When I go to bed its in my lap and Im usually reading up on one of my various hobbies or just reading a good old fashioned book. My wife uses hers to control smart boards at school etc. The point is that I use Sky Safari pro on my Ipad and I use it to plan my viewing for that night....weather permitting. The brightness of the view can be turned down and Sky Safari has a feature that turns the screen soft red so that with the reduced brightness it is very limiting on your night vision.

It is with this program on my Ipad that I determine what it is I am going to try and accomplish that night. In addition if you chronicle your viewing each session its actually quite amazing to go back in time and read your journal and view your progress as an amateur astronomer and how you can see in your own journal your increase in ability, skill and knowledge of a vastly technical hobby.

I am not saying Sky Safari pro is the best out there...but if you've got a table (android or Ipad) then I highly recommend it. If you have a laptop then the Stellarium software is decent if you can place a red filter sheet over the screen so it does not blind you. Either way it is a really good way to learn the night sky, work up a plan for that night(filters and Eyepieces) and to chronicle your exploits in your journal so that X seeing condition netted the best results using X EP with X filter....etc.

Doing this makes(IMO) a nights viewing session much more enjoyable and gives one a sense of accomplishment when you finally turn off the scope and go to bed.

use stellarium in night mode . that won't ruin your dark adaptation .

Archived