A poor Milky Way through Cygnus

I decided to have a go at a really widefield on Wednesday night, so used the 18-55 at 18mm on the Astrotrac. There are several problems with this..

1) Whilst the star shapes are ok at f/3.5 there's vignetting

2) I can't use my LP filters with EF-S lenses

3) I'm so out of practice..

Anyway... here's the result, I'm not overly happy with this, my last image of the same area using an eq1 was better (that's not the mounts fault), it's my first image in over a year

18 x 3 minutes, 18mm, f/3.5 @ ISO400

9680198093_92308ec848_c.jpg

Milky Way through Cygnus

Thanks guys, I forgot to put the image details into the first post... now added... it's been that long since I posted one :D..

I like making widefield images like this, it's something that's actually doable with a bad back, the tripod and Astrotrac really don't weigh very much, at least when considered next to an HEQ5.

It's poor by my normal efforts, I use Aperture as my image library management tool, and next to this in that was my Cassie widefield from last year, and my EQ1 mounted version of the same patch of sky.. Both of which are much better.

Thanks guys, I forgot to put the image details into the first post... now added... it's been that long since I posted one :D..

I like making widefield images like this, it's something that's actually doable with a bad back, the tripod and Astrotrac really don't weigh very much, at least when considered next to an HEQ5.

It's poor by my normal efforts, I use Aperture as my image library management tool, and next to this in that was my Cassie widefield from last year, and my EQ1 mounted version of the same patch of sky.. Both of which are much better.

John, post them up and let us have a look or post a link, it would be good to compare last years to this one.

Tim

Archived