NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

the moon

wookie1965

Not bad for phone pics. :)

If you're on a very very tight budget, go for a cheap webcam and an IR-block filter instead to begin with. Then you can do moon and planets for almost no cost at all. Just take off the webcam lens, and connect it to your scope, and you'll get tons of details and fun. :)

If you're just on a low budget, a canon dslr is a nice start for wide field astro photo, but your mount is probably not going to perform too well if you connect a DSLR with a 1.6x crop on it on the 150p. But i'm guessing your mount should probably handle a lighter lens, maybe up to 400mm, and a small dslr with no big problems.

Any DSLR will do 1000x better then your iphone for astro photo anyway. Even an old 300/350D (though a newer one with live-view will make focusing a lot easier) will perform rather well given enough exposure, and these you can get for almost nothing.

Add for example the canon 50mm f1.8, wich is so cheap you'll think you've stolen it when you leave the shop with it, and you've got a very nice wide-field option. You'll have to stop it down to at least f2.8 though, preferably f4, but at that focal lenght on your mount you should be able to to very long exposure times, so stopping it down won't be a big issue.

Edit: I wouldn't focus too much on if it's modded or not, as a none-modded will do fine too. Of course not as sensitive as a modded at deep red, but still performe fine.

You might want to get one new enough for windows 7/8 though, so you can use a software to control it. The 1000D and 1100D are very popular beginner cameras that both have live view and supports win. 7/8.

Thank you very much ive just got HEQ5 tripod legs which has made my set up a lot steadier so im in two minds now do i get the EQ3-2 motors or a new mount with goto on it and i have seen a canon 600d with lens and two batteries for £350 all cables included.

The answer is one way...if you want to take some quality pictures (regardless of camera type) you need a good mount!

I think that everything is a waste of money, if your mount cant help you....

Try to get the best mount you can efford...(i know that it a borring suggestion, but it is true...)

The answer is one way...if you want to take some quality pictures (regardless of camera type) you need a good mount!

I think that everything is a waste of money, if your mount cant help you....

Try to get the best mount you can efford...(i know that it a borring suggestion, but it is true...)

Yes i understand and i have read that but i have seen some great pictures taken with an EQ3-2 motorized mount was going to post a link from the member on here but cannot find it now, i do want a better goto mount though.

I guess you are thinking of stan26. He achieved some amazing results using the EQ3-2, and he wrote a really good guide on how to do it here.

I also started out with the EQ3-2 and 150p, and let me say that it was no walk in the park :) But I were really happy with the results I got when first starting out. Now (after 2 years with the EQ3-2) I have upgraded to a sturdier mount.

Since you've already got the mount and the motors are quite cheap, I say give it a go and see how far you can get. Without guiding you should be able to get at least 30 sec exposures with a really good polar align (using drift alignment).

/Patrik

I would go for a new mount if you intend to use a longer focal lenght scope for astro photo. a short scope, or a camera lens shuold do well on your mount with motors.

The 600D is a good choice and a step up from a beginner camera liek the 1100D. Good performance, and have an adjustable display so it's easier to see. It also works with magic lantern wich, at least for me, made astro photo a lot easier.

I've seen good pics taken with the 3-2 also, so it Is possible.

I'd say perservere with your phone aswell. I keep meaning to get round to mounting my phone properly with the EP.

I spent several days snapping away at the moon with my 4s and this was the best ones I managed to get -

8604763972_841d640c26_n.jpg

IMG_1638 by A Drummers Space, on Flickr

8657938824_97dcbe5b9f_n.jpg

IMG_1739 by A Drummers Space, on Flickr

Not perfect I know but Im happy with them.

Next up for me is using my xbox cam and the SPC I bought to try creating some mosaics, although I do have the problem of not being able to use prime focus so I have to barlow when using a webcam :(

You might bet more lucky if you use a 90 degree diagonal to attach the EP, then you might fasten your phone rather well to the EP with just a rubber band - wich might allow you to both fine-adjust the alignment of the phone camera, as well as making it easier to get less vibrations and a sharper image.

I haven't tried myself. It's all about the focus point, but i guess you might be right that the focus on a newt is too far inward to use a diagonal.

But alternatively you could just get a very huge rubber band and do the same anyway without the diagonal, just run the rubber band around the whole scope or something. :)

yes i have been thinking of making some kind of bracket to fit around the focuser and hold the phone in the right place im working on the details, if i can get it to fit around the focuser and then make the holder move a bit then lock off so i can position it correctly.

Archived