Finder scopes

Hi, I've recently bought a Skywatcher 200p Dob with auto track. I used it for the first time last night and was very impressed and thought I've made a marked improvement on my last scope being a Celestron 130eq.

My only niggle really is that you need to be a bit of a contortionist to be able to use the finder scope!

What I think I need is a 45' degree for the rear of it and would like some advice please to see if other options are available?

I've seen 8x50 scopes on eBay for £70 odd, but wondered if a 45' conversion was available for the standard 9x50.

Please can you help, Jimma.

what many do is sell their straight finder with bracket for maybe £25-30 and then buy a right angle correct image finder. I did that and also use telrads as suggested above. this is a fab combination with a dob, especially the smaller shorter versions like the 200.

I've been meaning to ask about this - some people seem to use a RACI and a Telrad or Rigel. Is there a neat way of attaching one to the other, or you need to drill additional holes in your OTA to use both at the same time?

(Apologies Jimma for slightly hijacking your thread, but hopefully this might be relevant for you too. Nice scope by the way! :grin: )

the telrad and the rigel quikfinder bases both attach with a double sided foam tape which is very strong so no drilling. you can use the same finder base for the RACI finder. it's the single most useful mod I have ever done and helps greatly in locating objects. I'd be lost without both these days.

I'm sorry I haven't had the chance to get back here sooner and would like to thank you for all your great suggestions and options for me.

I seemed to get on ok after a while of trying to rekindle some youth and learn to balance again but ached a bit...

Jimbo sent this from his iPad.

I think that you are gonna do a lot of starhopping (your scope is auto-track....not go-to isn't it?).

A telrad will make your life easier....you will be asking for a RA finder only if you try to locate very faint oblects.

Usually most objects (Messier) are easy to be located at the field of a scope like yours, because they are relative large and bright...

Just visit theire area with the Telrad, and they will be there for you!

Hi everyone. A Telrad Reflex Finder seems a popular option as an upgrade, Yet Ive not seen one adapted to fit the original finderscope position on a Sky-Watcher Skyliner 200P. Could you use the existing finderscope/mount holes, rather than drilling new holes into the OTA (Optical Tube Assembly) for a solid fixing. If I sold my scope on, I`d like the scope to go in its original well looked after condition , rather than have extra holes in the OTA. Im sure that the sticky pads supplied are suitable. My thoughts at present would be to create some sort of jacket for the scope in neoprene or camping foam underlay, not only will this protect my scope, but would give more bite for tie-wraps, and a larger non-slip area for the attachment of the Telrad.Having said all that, my Skyliner is not with me yet(awaiting delivery).

I managed ok using the miniscule finder on the celestron 127EQ keeping both eyes open to locate objects, and I can imagine that the Skyliners 9x50 finder should be easier/ brighter to use, however Ive now seen the advantages of the Telrad "Bullseye" so will probably still purchase one. Many folk also leave their original finderscopes attached, using both as/when required. I would have thought if you upgrade, you`d remove the original scope. Perhaps thats why its left on, cause it would look unsightly with just a permanent mount and no scope, also leaving the original on would help if your Telrad batteries fail, on a cold night maybe?

what makes you think the adhesive pads are not suitable? mine have been on for years with no issues and believe me, they take some removal even if you mean to. using e.g. lighter fluid makes this a lot easier and leaves an untouched finish once done. trust me the pads are more than adequate.

1378522899' post='2035961']

My thoughts at present would be to create some sort of jacket for the scope in neoprene or camping foam underlay, not only will this protect my scope, but would give more bite for tie-wraps, and a larger non-slip area for the attachment of the Telrad.Having said all that, my Skyliner is not with me yet(awaiting delivery).

I have mixed thoughts on this. You are kinda insulating the tube. This may make cool down times much longer and may necessitate the fitting of a fan to try and avoid tube currents.

HI Charic,

I've just upgraded my 200P's finder scope to a RACI version and also bought a Rigel QuikFinder reflex finder. Only used it for a couple of nights, but my experience so far is that buying a reflex finder doesn't mean you can chuck away your finder scope - I've already come across several times when I needed more than my naked eye and target rings to find my way to an object - I've found it especially helpful to cross-reference my view through the finder scope with the chart when all I can see is a single star or two through the reflex finder!

No issues with sticky pads so far - certainly doesn't feel like it's going to fall off and as Shane said above, there are techniques to remove adhesive cleanly if you sell your scope in the future.

Archived