New scope arrived

OK so I get home to find my new (and first) scope from FLO has arrived. http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-130p-supatrak-auto.html

Like a kid a xmas I quickly unwrapped all the bits , was fairly easy to put together and was soon moving around on the drive.

It didn't however come with a red dot finder as advertized but a standard Optical finder . not too worried unless anyone can recommend the red dot , should I contact them to get one.

Overall tho im impressed with the feel of it (also bigger than I thought).

But , yeah , you guessed it , not a square inch of clear sky to be seen :(

let the waiting begin.....

Cool - always nice to come home to astro-pressies :) As Astro Imp says, we want a first light report, but also piccies - we like scope piccies too:).

Congrats and I hope you get out under the stars soon!

Yep John , sorry m8 all my fault :)

Thanks Alan , hopefully post a first light soon , not sure what I expect to see yet being a complete noobie

Mark ,, can post a piccie of the scope no prob ,,,lol ,,, webcam image may have to wait a while tho :)

just had an eye look outside and got a glimpse of cassiopia for about 5 seconds,,, may stay up for a few hours just in case.

Clear skies guys (hopefully)

Ian

Good stuff. I've found the telrad an excellent alternative to a red dot finder. Not too expensive in astronomy equipment terms!!! And it really helps me find my way round and saves a bunch of time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Well it started off with some nice clear patches , set up on cassiopia ready for a nice easy drop onto the double cluster for what ive read whould be an easy first light ,,, then boooom ,, all I could see was cotton wool ,, Ah well , least I got a beer down me while I sat there.

clouds are breakin up now so may give it till midnightish, then me n the scope are comin inside.

let the waiting continue

Ian

Nice 'scope. Tell us how it goes. Get an RDF, many folk have a lowewr opinion of them but I have found them much easier to use particularly when setting up the goto due to their wide FOV and you can see the target star more easily in relation to the OTA.

Thanks Baggy ,, have emailed FLO as i was expecting one with the scope ,, think i know what you mean tho as the quick look i managed to get through the optical finder before the cloud rolled in was magnified and inverted ,,,confused me as to what i was looking at .

cheers

Ian

Nice 'scope. Tell us how it goes. Get an RDF, many folk have a lowewr opinion of them but I have found them much easier to use particularly when setting up the goto due to their wide FOV and you can see the target star more easily in relation to the OTA.

Even my 8SE (2 grands worth of scope) came with a bog standard RDF. I cant see why your scope didnt if it was part of the deal.

Certainly email FLO and i have no doubt that they will send you one.

Emailed FLO,, heres hopin.

wooly skies again tonite so not gonna be first light just yet :(

but at least its given me time to mod a webcam and get ready for some clearness ( is that a real word)

and discovered stellarium which is awesome......

Anyway ,, off to work in London for a week , but lookin at the sky forcast here , im not missin anything.

Hopefully have better luck next weekend,,, keep ya posted.

Clear skies guys ...c ya friday

Archived