NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

will a evostar 100ed ds pro work fine on celestron's EQ CG3 mount

Hi all,

I have currently the astromaster 130 and it's CG3 mounting from celestron. THing is I'm really quite keen to get the Skywatcher Evostar 100Ed ds pro within the next month or two. And I would like to find out beforehand if my current mount will be up to the job?

I won't be doing any major photography work as i don't have a SLR camera if I do feel the need for Imaging it will be done with a normal Digital camera so for this reason i think what i have for now will be fine for starters if the mount is compatible.

Double stars, clusters and planetary is my main interests. I don't like the affect my newton has on stars unlike looking through bins. Which is why i'm going down the refracting road.

If possible i will take in the odd galaxy too but might get a Dob for that next year!

Also is there a big difference between the evostar 80 & 100 ds pro? What is best for viewing mostly! Is it mostly contrast?

Regards

Mr Gazza.

P.S

Will I be able to pick up nebula with this scope?

Hi Mr Gazza,

If AP is your ultimate goal then I think the CG3 would struggle with the 100 DS PRO, for AP you need a strong and sturdy mount, the more sturdy the better, the problem with the 100 DS PRo is that it is quite long and with a camera on the end it would be quite unstable. In AP the mount is your biggest and most expensive consideration. Have you read Steve Richards book 'Making Every Photon Count': http://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html

Well worth a read if you want to do AP at any level.

On the subject of 90mm or 100mm, yes, the 100mm ED would be much better, both for AP and visual, the extra aperture makes a lot of difference, especially for visual. And yes, you will be able to view nebula with this scope, but only the most common and larger nebula, for planetary nebula you will need something much bigger with more light-gathering power. You will also need the appropriate narrowband filters.

Hope this helps, I am not into AP but visual only, just echoing some of the thoughts elsewhere on this forum. Good luck!

Thanks for your input R wilkiey most grateful for it i am, for the time being then to get used to the scope if i hopefully get it (as part of me is still considering getting a doob or 8" newt would ideally like the refactor and newt. Not sure what to go with first, but think the refactor will do a better job with doubles and clusters am I right with that thought) would the mount be ok for just visual till i'm comfortable using the new refactor.

When I do get a new Mount for it would a EQ3-2 be adequate?

Hi Mr Gaza,

On the EQ3-2, it all depends whether you have visual or AP in mind, if visual, then this would be OK, but for AP you will need something more substantial such as a HEQ5 Pro SynScan or SynTrek or something better. You need to decide which route you want to take and whether you will want/need to upgrade later?

IT looks like most folk seem to plunge for the 80ED DS pro is this due to the stability factor.

I was also considering the Celestron Nexstar 5 or the 150 skymax pro as an all rounder. Does either require much collimation? I think one or other might be a better solution any thoughts on this? I do read that the CN5 is a much lighter option.

If I was going in that direction I'd go for the NexStar 6, but really it sounds like you could do without the expense of Goto so could just put a C6 on an EQ3-2 or a Celestron Omni CG-4 mount (driven or manual), maybe even a Vixen Porta II for alt-az. Good for visual, may need more mount for AP.

The 80ED DS is probably favoured for AP because of its optics and stability. The Equinox Pro 80 has been recommended to me for AP in the past.

Well I think i'm not going to bother (for the time being anyway) with AP imaging and just enjoy the night sky visually! Thats the best way for me to go for now as i'm still learning the sky really although I should find constellations a bit easier at the start of next year as that will be just about 1 year on from when I got my first scope but started last Oct with my bins and wishing at the time i got a better scope but not wanting to spend a great deal at the time as I was not sure i'd take to it like I have.

Also I'd not realise how hard it is trying to decide on what scope to get to suit my needs, as if attal possible i'd like to be able to sit down while viewing as well as i get a sore back with aches and pains if standing for long periods so that also needs to be considered. So probably a EQ5 (i can lug the eq3 about when i take off the counters and put them on outside of course. And even with the weights on i can lug it about but only for short periods) is possibly out of the question for me realistically speaking. And a nice quickish setup would be really useful too so maybe the eq3-2 is way for me to go but what to put on it is the real question now as I've sidelined AP for time being.

ARRRGGG,

Regards,

Mr Gazza.

Hi gazza...a cheap wae to get into astrophotography would be to maybe have a think about using a cctv camera on the telescope. ..I'm over in cumbernauld and that's what I now use, I use the ed80 on a eq3/2 pro with a Samsung scb2000 camera attatched..you then have the option of viewing through your tv or if you buy a cheap usb video capture dongle the near live view can be saved to hard drive...its a lot faster a capture process than dslr camera. ..pop down to the video section and have a look round ...Davy

Hi gazza...a cheap wae to get into astrophotography would be to maybe have a think about using a cctv camera on the telescope. ..I'm over in cumbernauld and that's what I now use, I use the ed80 on a eq3/2 pro with a Samsung scb2000 camera attatched..you then have the option of viewing through your tv or if you buy a cheap usb video capture dongle the near live view can be saved to hard drive...its a lot faster a capture process than dslr camera. ..pop down to the video section and have a look round ...Davy

Interesting one Davy, What's the visual viewing like on the ed80? EG Jupiter, Saturn and i'd imagine that the pleiades will look rather nice on that yes? I think i'm making my mind up to go for the 80ed.

Would a 200mm newt be ok on eq3-2 just for viewing only as I may get that next year possibly?

I have the 150P on Omni CG-4, that's similar to EQ3-2 but has better tripod legs. This set up is great for visual, wouldn't want to push anything bigger on the CG-4 though... the mount could take it, but it would be very wobbly. I'm about to buy the 100ED DS-Pro as an alternative to the 150P, I'm curious to see what a decent refractor can do from my back garden.

• 1 month later...

I have the 150P on Omni CG-4, that's similar to EQ3-2 but has better tripod legs. This set up is great for visual, wouldn't want to push anything bigger on the CG-4 though... the mount could take it, but it would be very wobbly. I'm about to buy the 100ED DS-Pro as an alternative to the 150P, I'm curious to see what a decent refractor can do from my back garden.

Hi Jonathan,

After two months of procrastination/evaluation, I'm considering (my first scope as a bino user so far) the 100ED DS PRO. It's the mount that I'm struggling with. I quite like the idea of tracking as would save time, even goto would be useful but am concerned at the setup times, repositioning etc of an EQ (I live on a narrowboat and the towpath is narrow with trees etc so need to reposition for various objects to view). I am thinking of the Porta II mount even though some question it's stability. It is recommended by our very helpful FLO guys. Think is, how beneficial do you really think a motor drive is? I don't think the AZ4 mount with the addition of goto/motor drive would be upto to the job of a 4" F9 Frac. Of course, I still have a 6SE lurking at the back of mind as could keep in the shed .... any advice on the above naturally much appreciated!

Hi Jonathan,

After two months of procrastination/evaluation, I'm considering (my first scope as a bino user so far) the 100ED DS PRO. It's the mount that I'm struggling with. I quite like the idea of tracking as would save time, even goto would be useful but am concerned at the setup times, repositioning etc of an EQ (I live on a narrowboat and the towpath is narrow with trees etc so need to reposition for various objects to view). I am thinking of the Porta II mount even though some question it's stability. It is recommended by our very helpful FLO guys. Think is, how beneficial do you really think a motor drive is? I don't think the AZ4 mount with the addition of goto/motor drive would be upto to the job of a 4" F9 Frac. Of course, I still have a 6SE lurking at the back of mind as could keep in the shed .... any advice on the above naturally much appreciated!

The AZ4 is fine with a 100ED but I don't think you can get motor drives for it. I've had a 127mm f/9.4 achromat on mine for short sessions and it is possible, but not comfortable. A pillar extension helps put the eyepiece at a more convenient height for observing at the zenith. Depending on what you are looking for, a 6SE is very nice.

The AZ4 is fine with a 100ED but I don't think you can get motor drives for it. I've had a 127mm f/9.4 achromat on mine for short sessions and it is possible, but not comfortable. A pillar extension helps put the eyepiece at a more convenient height for observing at the zenith. Depending on what you are looking for, a 6SE is very nice.

Thanks for the feedback. I have read about a SkyTee being motorised but maybe it starts to become overcomplicated which is exactly what I don't want!

Archived