Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

August 27, 2013: Lots of proms in H-alpha

Just had a look at the sun with my LS35. A really nice, slender arc showed up on the lower eastern limb. Several other proms joined it, and the surface nearby is full of filaments, bright spots, and other signs of activity. A large sunspot also showed. On the western limb, there is a small, but fairly bright detached prom roughly at the equator, along with quite a few arcs and other proms. Way up north there is a huge, prom, of fairly low surface brightness, looking like a ghostly flame. Fascinating stuff.

Certainly lots going on at the moment, lovely detached proms and plenty of filaments.

In white light yesterday there was an area of faculae 'above' the large sunspot. I could see about 6 or 7 tiny spots dotted around within it, well worth a look if you get a chance.

Stu

I really enjoyed a view of the proms during lunch time with my single stack 60mm. The proms were fantastic, my favourite was the huge faint prom to the North, Michael, I think the ghostly one you mentioned? It was faint in my scope, but I could just make out that it was a fuzzy arch about 1/10th the diameter of the sun that seemed to touch the disc on both sides.

Piccy here from gong (with the fuzzy arch at about 1 o'clock):

http://halpha.nso.ed...827115834Ch.jpg

I really enjoyed a view of the proms during lunch time with my single stack 60mm. The proms were fantastic, my favourite was the huge faint prom to the North, Michael, I think the ghostly one you mentioned? It was faint in my scope, but I could just make out that it was a fuzzy arch about 1/10th the diameter of the sun that seemed to touch the disc on both sides.

Piccy here from gong (with the fuzzy arch at about 1 o'clock):

http://halpha.nso.ed...827115834Ch.jpg

That faint one in the north was the ghostly flame I mentioned. I used my 24mm MaxVision at 16.7x in the LS35, and that showed it up nicely. I do not think higher magnification would work well.

Archived