Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mamiya 200mm f2.8

I was searching for an APO SLR lens suit my future kaf8300 camera (qsi probably)

Because I realy want pinpoint stars to the edge of the field of view (at f2.8 ) I wasd thinking for a good medium format slr lens... My option now is Mamiya 200mm f2.8 lens

Still I am not sure if it is necesary to go go for such a large corection since the diagonal of the desired sensor (kaf 8300) is more than half of the medium format sensor.

Is there any Nikon Canon or any other manufacturer that has really good fixed lens 200-300mm that can be used at f2.8 for astrophoto with Kaf 8300?

Bit lost on this:

The kaf is said to be a "Full Frame CCD", Full Frame means the same as the old 35mm film which was 24x36 in reality. However the kaf 8300 sensor has a diagonal of 22.5, so no where near full frame, 24x36 gives a diagonal of just over 43mm. Truesense say the sensor is in effect 18x13.5mm, so completely lost why the term Full Frame is used.

Then you mention a good medium format lens, medium format film is often in the 60 mm size, 120 roll film, so with a medium format lens you would have on the kaf8300 sensor a very small part of the actual image produced by the lens.

If you are looking for a full frame lens (35mm) so that the edge is not on the kaf8300 sensor so edge problems are much reduced, the obvious one is the Canon EF 200mm (assume this is the one you are considering as everything matches).

Thought that Sigma used to do some, their full format selection is termed DG, but cannot see a 200mm prime lens in the selection. They may have stopped producing them, they used to do a number of prime lens. Maybe an email could be useful. Although the Canon has good reviews.

I see, The reasons to chose a 35mm format lens is logic, unfortunately the 200mm f2,8 Canon lens is overpriced on ebay... 3500$ more than twice the price of similar lenses (even better corrected) produced by a unknown High end medium format camera brand like Mamyia, and others like it. Even good Leica lens can be found cheaper than good Canon lens.

So this is one of the reason asked this question...

I forgot to say about the other reason I was thinking to use a medium format lens...The canon 200mm f2.8 is supersharp only around f4.

I amnot sure about this butI hoped that a medium format lens has a lower field curvature in the 22mm center of the focal plane coresponding to a 4/3 sensor like Kaf 8300,

Fortunately, there are a lot of other old or regular lenses that can ofer same level of correction, but as far as I know Canon 200mm f2.8 is not on this list. If I am wrong please correct me.

I see, The reasons to chose a 35mm format lens is logic, unfortunately the 200mm f2,8 Canon lens is overpriced on ebay... 3500$ more than twice the price of similar lenses (even better corrected) produced by a unknown High end medium format camera brand like Mamyia, and others like it. Even good Leica lens can be found cheaper than good Canon lens.

So this is one of the reason asked this question...

Did you mean Canon 200mm f2 or f1.8? Canon 200 f2.8 costs £600 new from a mainstream dealer.

http://www.cliftonca....8L_II_USM_Lens

Hi Emil,

If the Mamiya lens you are referring to is the 645 APO lens then it has a fine reputation. They seem to be a reasonable price too -

http://www.ffordes.com/product/13082016260481

The problem with most medium format lenses is that they are slow. I use a 250mm f4 medium format lens and it obviously isn't as fast but does give a flat field. That's an advantage to just using the centre of the lens. I've compared a Nikon 180mm f2.8 to the Leica 180mm f3.4 APO and the Leica is a damn good lens, if you can find one at a reasonable price.

The Leica lens, for me at least, gives slightly better edge stars at f4 but it is very slight. I like not having spikes around my stars so I would stick with the Nikon wide open and enjoy the extra speed. I can't give an opinion on the Canon other than the only one I've inspected still gave star spikes wide open because the diaphragm was still in the light path at f2.8. I don't know why as it was not faulty and appears to be designed that way.

I can't give any first hand experience on 300mm f2.8 lenses other than the fact I've seen some very good images taken on a modern Tokina. I do fancy an AFS Nikon 300mm lens but can't justify the price right now.

With regards to the term " Full Frame " it refers to the readout and has nothing to do with size.

Hope you get sorted,

Dave.

Dave thanks for detailled info... I saw on your site, many pictures made with diferent lenses, including hasselblad (which were also on my list)...

Mark. Great news about the test. Please tell us about the results

Hey Mark,

Was that with the H35 and wide open? If so it's fantastic. Very minor tweaks that may, unfortunately, take an hour or two. Been there..... :)

Keep a close eye on this one Emil. As I will be doing,

Dave.

Looking forward to the results. I don't really know why as I've already got a lens in that area. Doesn't hurt to look though. I believe either a focus motor and belt or a TS focus attachment are the way to go.

Dave

Hello Dave. The image was a bit rushed , im also out of practice. Wires everwhere, bumping into the mount etc etc ;-) focus was the best I could achive by hand, I have the following on its way to aid the focusing. http://astrotech.de/...ssierer-ff65-4/ I think its a better solution than the TS rings, although its a 1 lens solution I plan using this lens the most.

Emil, yes taken with an Ha filter, Next time Im out I wil try wide open through HA, RGB at F2.8 and see what we get.

Mark

Archived