Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mount choice again!

phattanglo

After a long enforced layoff I'm soon to be back observing.

Mrs Phatty is about to retire and she says she will buy me a new mount :grin:

I've read the recent discussions re HEQ5/ Q6 and I feel the HEQ5 would be sufficient for my needs.

I would however appreciate some feedback prior to the purchase.

I will not be changing from my present SW 150P and my imaging will probably be limited to a viewcam planetary shots.

I have a Synscan handset from my present setup

An HEQ5 would easily handle your requirements, don't know your personal circumstances but the NEQ6 can be heavy if you're carrying it out every night. An HEQ5 would handle your scope and any photo equipment with ease. Don't forget that if you're going for a driven version, get the Syntreck as you already have the handset to upgrade to the full Pro version, this will save you over £100.

Its a shame that I'll be retiring before my wife!!....you're very lucky

Hi!

I think that you should go on HQ6....Yes,yes, it is heavier and more expensive, but it will be forever, whatever equipment you are gonna use.

It is an excellent mount, and (believe me) if you realise that your set-up is reliable and trouble-free, you will start thinking astrophotography

sooner than you ever imagine.

Regards,

Kostas.

Hi,

Thumbs up for the NEQ6! You never know, you may get the urge to upgrade to a larger scope in the future. I suspect there'll be plenty on the secondhand market when the EQ8 becomes available.

Regards, Herrman

• 1 month later...

Archived