NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SGL 9

Superdavo

As mentioned before you will get a bit of light pollution in the direction of Hereford. However, when SGL Management first decided to go to Lucksall (SGL4) I was asked to undertake a review of the quality of the night sky - I live 10 minutes away. I took my 15x70 binos and had a great view of M1 and M33 so I thought it was pretty good to recommend the site for the star party. Last year I viewed the Horsehead Nebula for the first time so that tells you a lot.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The weather on the first Monday night was extremely cold, I had to take my shorts off

at 19:00 hours and put my long johns and paramo trousers on.

The weather during the day was ok as I was able to wear my shorts the rest of the week.

Woke up on Tuesday morning to snow....

A group of us went for breakfast on a Hereford industrial estate.

Once the campsite cafe opened we had a cooked breakfast every morning.

Maybe we'll join you on the pre-breakfast jaunt up Pen-y-Fan next year Adrian!

Luckily, I live just 40 minutes away from Lucksall.

However, every autumn I go the the Kelling Heath Star Party, that's a drive of nearly 4 hours. I leave early, stop off half way for a coffee and a cooked breakfast and I arrive at site at around 11.30 am. That gives nme time to pitch the tent, set up my gear and relax a little before the evenings activities.

I've noticed that everyone who goes camps out in tents, but is there an alternative? (e.g. Staying in a caravan or something like that), and does anyone ever do that?

David

David if you mean can you hire a caravan from the Lucksall site the answer is no. I have known individuals staying in a local B&B and driving to the site - is that what you mean?

Just to say, I only popped down for an evening at SGL 8 and it was a fantastic atmosphere and some lovely people. Got to see some scopes and people talked me through the set up etc...

and a lovely member even gave me a pair of free bins as I had killed mine a few days previous.

so, even if you only 'stop by' its a great thing to come and see and experience. It gave me the confidence to be a complete noob and yet meet other more experienced and knowledgeable people without feeling intimidated - astronomers are usually the friendliest people you ever meet.... Which is strange considering we spend most of our lives outside, on our own in the dark. lol.

Hi David,

Sorry to hear that you are too young to help us in the whiskey tasting sessions.

The Hog Roast is great, the cafe will do veggie meals if asked.

The full English Breakfasts in the camp cafe are real social events.

Camping... this is a big part of the experience. The majority of the attendees have tents

of various size and quality. I would hope that young people would find it a chance to

"Rough It" for a few days. Cooking outside in the rain and wind is interesting.

On a clear night we normally pack in at 03:00 to 05:00 am, so I think B & B owners may be

uneasy about people returning at that time. Plus camping is considerably cheaper.

If you are too young for a beer, how do you intend to get to Hereford with your Astro gear?

And can you get the time off school, some of the younger people get time off to attend with their parents,

the school then expects them to write a report on the event.

Trust you can organise a visit to Lucksall, it will be a memorable event.

Cheers

Adrian

Archived