Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tal 100RS mount options

Jim Steele

I'm thinking about getting a tal for some solar system and bright Messier object viewing as I want something reasonably robust that can be used by the family in the years to come which at the same time doesn't weight a ton.

The size of some dobs puts me off since i want to be able to pack it reasonably well in the boot with a load of camping gear, kids stuff, nappys travel cot clothes etc. The back seat is taken up with two car seats!

Assuming the tal is a reasonable choice for 'lug and go' astronomy what mount would suit?

I have seen a few that looks like promising namely the AZ4,EQ5 and Vixen Porta 2.

The lack of slow motion controls put me off the AZ4 since i want my kids to be able to use it without knocking off the alignment. The porta 2 has enough weight capability but am concerned as the tal has a long tube, would it be unworkable in kids hands. The EQ5 could be a possibility since i am sure i will want to get into imaging eventually but feel in this case i would need something more substantial like a HEQ5.

My total budget is around £500

I have used the Tal 100 on the AZ4 mount for a good while, it works well but half wonder if you would be better of with a 150p reflector on the same mount

I hadn't thought about the 150PDS might be worth a shout. Heard the focuser can be a little sloppy? Out of interest why suggest the 150 over the tal?

I would think that depends on how tall the children are...

good point, part of my reason for wanting a refractor don't think kids would reach the eye piece without steps or a stool until their a little older, sounds like i need to find a decent astronomy shop to check them out.

Getting back on track how do you find the AZ4 to use without slow controls?

Archived