NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Upgrading my PST?

Notty

I was warned this was going to get expensive...

i'm already looking wi green eyes at some of the super sharp images you guys post here and arou d and have started investigating squeezing more resolution from my little PST. I've come across 2 different paths, and wondered if anyone particularly here in the UK had experience of the, (perhaps they know where I can get them as most of it seems to be US based.

the first is double stacking with the Coronado double stack adapter. Around the £500 mark if I decided to import it. That's a lot of money!

secondly the Denkmeier Spectrum 60 upgrade

http://telescopes.net/store/s60-pst-spectrum-60-upgrade-for-coronado-pst.html

Which increases aperture but leaves the bandwidth alone. It looks like I'd have to ship my PST to the US to get it done, probably more like £700 by the time shipping etc is done.

does anyone have any experience of these, or any other ideas?

many thanks

andy

Ooh there are other options and especially if you are handy with a bit of DIY.

Essentially you can mod it yourself but you will require a few parts, Ken(Merlin66) has an excellent write up on how this can be done. It shouldn't cost £500 but then that's down to the parts you get.

Try googling Stage 1 or Stage 2 PST Mod.

Hopefully he can come by and explain things further.

post-8383-0-94517200-1376909311_thumb.jp

Sorry about the rushed response but lunch is burning. :)

Thanks guys, veery interesting! Are your pictures both of the phase 1 mod? How fiddly is it exactly, and is there any risk of the process being irreversible? I'm not a total DIY numpty but I am however of a nervous disposition regarding disassembling something this expensive.

And yes I'd potentially be interested in a 2nd hand one... Which I could part finance by selling mine!

Archived