Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NEQ6 GPS

mhard26339

Hi,

I have just bught the GPS Mouse for my NEQ6 having looked at the advertisment, read reviews stating that there was an adaptor to also connect directly to my PC via USB. When I got the item apparently this adaptor is not now supplied only the one to connect to the mount which works well. However, I also want to control the mount directly from the PC and use of GPS would be very helpful (particularly having paid a whopping premium for the unit). The Syncscan will of course not be connected so no way of connecting GPS. Unfortunately I do not appear to be able to find an adaptor that should work PS2 to USB and correct orientation..

Has anybody else had this problem and if so how did you solve it?

Thanks in advance

Mike

I suspect the GPS unit is talking some sort of RS232-compatible serial protocol given that it goes in the same socket as the serial connector for upgrading the handset firmware. If you can work out or find out which pins carry which signals it should be possible to make one up that can be plugged into a USB serial adaptor on the PC. I think the fact that it's a PS2 style plug on the end of the mouse may be misleading (though in fact computer mice with PS2 connectors do speak a serial protocol, I believe).

James

Hi,

I can appreciate that you want to get good value for money from the SW GPS unit, but if you have no luck connecting to the laptop, then Maplins do a USB GPS dongle for £20: possibly not too much more than an adapter will cost. I use this dongle with EQMOD, it can take a while to come up with your location, but it finds it eventually.

Hope You find this useful.

Herrman

Archived