Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observing from the edge of town.

cotterless45

WOW !,,,!

What a night, 3 cans of super cider ( not that Cidre ) , a reclining chair and 2 Bright high passes of the ISS. then a white fireball shooting south leaving a trail at 12.40. Lots of fine trails, most away from the quadrant.

Noticed it was not only dark , but crystal clear and stable. Got the Meade and the 6" achro going.Put the chair away in case I fell asleep in it or tripped over it.

First a shot at Uranus with surface shadings at silly magnifications.

Then a selection of targets showing the excellence of the night,

The ever fabulous M11,

NGC 6939 showed similar star clouds along with NGC 7129 while still in Cepheus , ST 2816 at x150 showed the pair and triple.

Camelopardalis showed NGC 1501, a glowing Blue Oyster with a UHC in place.

The Cat's Eye in Draco NGC 6543 was bright and gorgeously detailed, I'd always written this off, but it was stunning at high magnification.

SST 298 in CRb resolved itself into NGC 5966 ( elliptical) galaxy, faint, but in the star line.

NGC 281 in Cassiopeia showed it's nebulosity and I was lucky to catch NGC 7635, the bubble with a UHC filter.

Pegasus was high with a square of stars. the galaxies NGC7331, 7814, 7479 were clear. Then onto Aries below M33 and the doubles And a view of NGC 772 with signs of a central bulge .

Pleiades Up and then cloud. Whole night buzzed with Perseids, Most really distant from that quadrant,

what a dark night, best so far this year and a grand kick off to the season !

Clear skies, Old Nick.

Nick.

Its interesting that you say that most of the meteors were away from the quadrant. Due to trees, roofs etc I have to pick a spot to look at so I chose the radiant. I saw quite a few but mainly short lived. I suspect that I missed a few further out

Kerry

Yep , right up above and to the north it was planetarium like. Cassiopeia was beginning to melt into the background stars and an empty Pegasus had 7 stars within the horse box. UMa looked stunning, this is usually a well hidden with only the pair of Kochab and Pherkab visible, neat,

Old Nick.

Archived