NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A total set for a beginner

Hello, I have wanted to start astrophotography for a long while already, but haven't been able to figure out what kind of a set of equipments should I have.

There are so many different kind of equipments to choose from and I am having a hard time finding out the right ones for a beginner.

I already have a camera, Canon 7D and would like to know what kind of equipments would be the best ones for it.

I am not palnning to spend loads of money, but would like to keep it all in a reasonable budget, since for now I don't need the best equipment.

Also I would like to have a telescope that fits for deep space astrophotography.

please, help me!

Decent mount like the HEQ5, probably Synscan to help ypu locate targets quick, also future expansion (guiding) and something like a small refractor. Just visited an astro meet here and they had a tent of imagers and their rigs. Most were using the WO 72/70/71 ED refractors.

AP is a different set of requirements to visual, so don't get a good visual set up and then try to use it for AP.

Definitely get a scope with a decent mount.

Like you, I'm new to this and thought that the mount supplied would be good enough - it isn't and I'm now looking to upgrade to something more sturdy. This is even more important if you intend to do a bit of imaging.

I was like you about 3 years ago. I had DSLR's and wanted to start out in AP without knowing anything about it at all. I spoke to a retailer and they sold me in parts something excellent and in parts something not so excellent. So my very first bit of advice would be to buy the book 'Making Every Photon Count' available from the book section of the FLO website. Read it, then read it again and again!! It is an imagers bible for DSO AP, of that there is no doubt.

So, I got an HEQ5 mount and I have to say that has done very well for me indeed. It is still going and producing results well above it's suggested price tag. I would then add to that a short focal length refractor. Many people swear by the Skywatcher 80ED option, there are many using it to good effect. If you use a DSLR then a flattener would be good as the chip size will give you some bad corners without it.

That will get you started. But if you already have the DSLR then you can take some very good images with your camera and a long lens. Many DSO's are big and so unless you spend many thousands of pounds on a large chipped camera, you will struggle to get them in the frame.

This is a great hobby, but one that can eat money and time. Frustrating doesn't even cover the feelings sometimes, but all in all I love it. Be prepared if it bites to want bigger, better and more expensive as you progress. It depends on you as a person and how you want to see yourself. I looked at peoples images on here that are top class and I wanted to do it too. Be warned that really does take many thousands of pounds. But people get respectable results with less.

Be realistic about what you want to achieve, then ........... read the book again!!!

That will get you started. But if you already have the DSLR then you can take some very good images with your camera and a long lens. Many DSO's are big and so unless you spend many thousands of pounds on a large chipped camera, you will struggle to get them in the frame.

So.. I should just get a tele lens on my camera, not a telescope?

I would think a good telephoto lens will cost many times more than a reasonable frac. i wouldn't buy an expensive lens instead of a scope. Buy and read the book. It will save you time and money.

edit:- If you've already got the lens then by all means use it. but anything over about 50mm lens @ 10-15 secs will need a tracking mount. again...read the book :)

I am not palnning to spend loads of money

^^There's your first mistake.^^

Deep Sky astrophotgraphy, by its very nature, tends to be expensive.

would like to keep it all in a reasonable budget, since for now I don't need the best equipment.

Define "reasonable". £1K? £5k? £20K?

First thing to buy is this:

http://www.nightskyi...hoton_count.htm

astro_book_cover_600.jpg

(Mods: Any chance that we could have this ^^image and hyperlink^^ as a "smiley"? It must have been typed and re-typed hundreds of times in response to many, many threads like this).

If you already have a long focal length lens, then you can just get the mount and use the lens and DSLR. I would not suggest you going out and buying one for this purpose though. Perhaps it was just an assumption of mine that you'd already have one.

Everything else said since is spot on. Define a budget!! Many people have mounts that cost more than the price of a small car. The mount is THE most important part of DSO AP. You need it to track and be as stable as possible. I suggested the HEQ5 as that is the general minimum recommendation for AP and based on my own experience it is a solid performer if treated right!

I took the advice from others on this forum and went down the HEQ5 + ED80 route.

Before that I had a camera (basic canon 1000d) and a camera tripod.

I was interested in DSO photography and soon realised the tracking mount was needed to progress to better shots.

Try going out and taking wide field shots with your camera.

The book is a must, a great reference for beginners and useful as you progress.

Field flattener not necessary at first, you can always crop your photos if it bothers you.

Sent from my phone :-D

Archived