Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First widefield - Cassiopeia

Amra

Thanks to SGL members for pointing me to Gradientxterminator, really helped my processing. :)

Images were taken with my Canon 1100D with a "nifty fifty" 50mm f/1.8 II camera lens, mounted on my HEQ5.

20x 1 minute ISO800 Exposures @ F6.3, 10 Darks, 20 Flats & 20 Bias. Stacked everything together in DSS with mostly default settings or whatever DSS recommended. Levels & Curves in PS and some small tweaking with other stuff.

Later in the evening I found out that I could easily track for 3 minute subs without trails, oh well! I did get some data of Andromeda, but forgot darks, so I'll see what I can get out of that data later.

post-28221-0-58135400-1376071070_thumb.j

Thanks to SGL members for pointing me to Gradientxterminator, really helped my processing. :)

Images were taken with my Canon 1100D with a "nifty fifty" 50mm f/1.8 II camera lens, mounted on my HEQ5.

20x 1 minute ISO800 Exposures @ F6.3, 10 Darks, 20 Flats & 20 Bias. Stacked everything together in DSS with mostly default settings or whatever DSS recommended. Levels & Curves in PS and some small tweaking with other stuff.

Later in the evening I found out that I could easily track for 3 minute subs without trails, oh well! I did get some data of Andromeda, but forgot darks, so I'll see what I can get out of that data later.

post-28221-0-58135400-1376071070_thumb.j

Lovely, try 85mm or 100 mm next time, F4~F5.6 and c the results.

A.G

Great.

Have a look at your colour balance if you have something like Photoshop. The histogram peak for the three channels should line up at the top left. This shouldn't become a religion but it's a very good rule of thumb.

You can also use the colour sampler (Eyedropper tool) to measure the background sky values across the image. Equal in all three channels usually looks good but some like blue to be a bit higher. Personally I go for about 23/23/23 in RGB, at least as a starting point.

levels%20aligning-L.jpg

Olly

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/22435624_WLMPTM#!i=2277139556&k=FGgG233

Thanks for the tip Olly! Colour balance is something I haven't got right on my images with my full spec camera yet, so I really appreciate the advice. :)

I uploaded the .tiff from DSS here if anyone wants to play with the data. Would be interesting to see how much savvy processing experts could extract from 20 minutes of data.

Archived