Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Canon wide angle lens!

Hi all I'm going to astro camp on the 7th of September, and I'm looking to rent a wide angle lens as the Milky Way is right over head and I thought it would be a good chance to get some Milky Way pictures, but I haven't a clue when it comes to cameras, can anyone suggest the things I should look out for when I'm looking at the lenses? Or suggest some that you use or know that would work.

thanks

chris

If you want to keep the cost under control then you can do a reasonable job with the kit 18-55mm lens, or get a smaller field of view with the nifty fifty. If you want real wide angle though, I have a feeling that's going to cost.

James

Check out the Canon 15mm 2.8 full frame fish-eye. It's fast, sharp wide open and easy to focus at infinity, and gives an amazing FOV. Or, as you're renting and not looking to fork out around £2k, why not treat yourself to a Canon 14mm 2.8 Mk2. It's corrected so doesn't distort like the fish-eye although that's not really a problem when shooting the MW.

Check out the Canon 15mm 2.8 full frame fish-eye. It's fast, sharp wide open and easy to focus at infinity, and gives an amazing FOV. Or, as you're renting and not looking to fork out around £2k, why not treat yourself to a Canon 14mm 2.8 Mk2. It's corrected so doesn't distort like the fish-eye although that's not really a problem when shooting the MW.

The canon 15mm 2.8 is £32 to rent for 3days which I don't think Is that bad, it doesn't say anywhere if it will fit into a canon 1000D, or is it a case of one size fit all?

1375961705[/url'>' post='2009470']

I'm not familiar with the 1000D but if it takes EF lenses then the 15mm will fit. Of course with a crop sensor you won't get the full coverage of the lens, but it'll still be mighty wide!

All of these pics were shot with the 15mm: http://stargazerslou...-usa-milkyways/

i think it does take EF lenses and that's the kind of pictures I'd like, at the moment the lens I have to use zooms in too far the best I've got is this after I stacked 30 min worth of data the second one is a single 3min shot

post-28669-0-00747100-1375962096_thumb.j

post-28669-0-73537100-1375962126_thumb.j

I can second the Samyang 14mm f2.8 lens. I was out this past summer taking milky way shots with it on my canon rebel t3i, and I got some amazing shots. And, for a wide-angle lens, it's cheap!

I've actually just checked what lens the camera takes, and it takes EFS not EF :/ I haven't a clue what to do now

That's fine. An EF lens will fit a camera that accepts EF-S lenses, but a camera that takes EF lenses (the full frame ones, generally?) will not necessarily accept an EF-S one.

James

Archived