Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The dreaded bent altitude bolt syndrome hastruck my EQ5

Hi,

Last night while trying to fine tune the polar alignment of my EQ5 PRO, I noticed a strange behaviour on my mount, the movement of the head was eratic. After some fiddling I discovered that the rear altitude bolt was bent and if not exactly stuck but the movement was stiff. I have managed to remove the bolt without cutting it or taking the head off but I am now worried that the threads cut into the head casting may have been damaged, after all it is steel against aluminium, what a stupid design. I had heard of this happening to NEQ6 or HEQ5 as the scopes that are craried on these mounts are usually heavier but all my gear weighs about 5kg, well below the design limit of 8kg+ of the EQ5. After all, this mount is paired up with a 200p in most SW packages and advertising, mine is only an 80 mm ed.

Regards,

A.G

You can soon see if the bolt is bent - find something flat (a piece of plate glass is good or one of those polished granite chopping boards or coasters) and roll the bolt on it - you will soon see even a tiny "not quite straight" as it wobbles along.

If in doubt cut three thin strips of paper (from the same sheet) and place them crosswise under the bolt, again on your flat surface), one at each end and one in the middle. Hold the bolt down firmly (not too firm!!) and try and pull out the middle strip. repeat after rotating the bolt each time. If you can pull the middle strip out easily in then the bolt is not straight.

This test doesn't tell you how much error there is - just that there is an error.

Time to bite the bolt and get the upgraded bolts,

Nick.

The bolt is bent , no need for glass plate, I hope that the threads inside the mount casting have not been stripped away, have contacted the retailer already, hope he can help. Replacement already ordered.

Regards,

A.G

It's worth pointing out that the supplied Skywatcher bolts are actually fine- just the design of the mount that is lacking. The altitude adjuster lug is unsuitably positioned for use in Northern latitudes, resulting in the bolts acting on the lug at silly angles. The only permanent solution is to modify the mount slightly:

Once modified even the Skywatcher bolts should not bend!

DSCF7016_1024_zps32f9ee32.jpg

It's worth pointing out that the supplied Skywatcher bolts are actually fine- just the design of the mount that is lacking. The altitude adjuster lug is unsuitably positioned for use in Northern latitudes, resulting in the bolts acting on the lug at silly angles. The only permanent solution is to modify the mount slightly:

http://stargazerslou...ty#entry1951874

Once modified even the Skywatcher bolts should not bend!

DSCF7016_1024_zps32f9ee32.jpg

Great idea, I wonder what happenes if someone in Finland buys one of these mounts, at almost 65 Degrees they'd have no chance, perhaps Skywatcher should think about an adjustable lug at least on their top of the range mounts.

Regards,

A.G

Great idea, I wonder what happenes if someone in Finland buys one of these mounts, at almost 65 Degrees they'd have no chance, perhaps Skywatcher should think about an adjustable lug at least on their top of the range mounts.

Regards,

A.G

The new EQ8 has better adjustment

Archived