NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Planisphere, is it worth it?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(see above thread!) lol

For me, the virtue of the Planisphere is in its "predictive" capability. The "what if" and PLANNING facility.

I now KNOW the "horizons" of my observatory. (No) Thanks to houses, trees, security lights etc., most of

this is 15-20 degrees or so. But I do have a 30 deg South-Westerly "gap" with aspects down to Five deg. ;)

In my projected (leisurely!) "Messier [Caldwell] Marathon", I can *predict* when certain objects are likely

to be visible above this horizon... Over several weeks, hours etc. There is no depending on UK weather! :D

Perhaps, like the slide rule before, the planisphere encourages more "lateral thinking" than the screen. :)

I downloaded the Observer Pro app. I've only had a brief go with it but it seems great, especially if you are chasing a particular target. The ability to stand outside and map in your visible horizon is great. i have trees and buildings in most directions and they considerably affect the ability to see objects in certain parts of the sky. Having mapped in my horizon i can now choose an object and immediately assess the chances of seeing it. Thanks for the recommendation Russe. It's comparatively pricey for an app (£6.99) - but that's only about two pints of beer these days!

I shall certainly be using it quite a bit I think - together with my planisphere of course!

Kerry 

• 4 months later...

The Planisphere has numerous advantages, I have had one since the early sixties when I first got into astronomy.  I never tossed it and now that I finally have the time to get back into astronomy, and I like it better than the aps.

Its small and light enough to not take up much space- less to lug out to the field. Its never in need of an update and the "computer" is your brain, and never goes out of sync or breaks.  Its cheap!  It is simple enough to use and teach someone else how to use it who is not farmiliar with astronomy but has excitement to learn (that was me in the sixties). With a little study it easily gives the student an idea how the sky works (easier because it shows the entire sky at once.  What else is so simple, never needs charging, is easy to transport and can be left in the attic for 50 years and is still perfect.  Yup, I am old school but keeping it simple is more fun.

Phil   :rolleyes:

Archived