Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Camera mount.

Paulus17

Afetr seeing the price of a Skywatcher L shaped bracket for fixing my camera to my mount for some widefield shots,i thought i could do summat a little cheaper meself.So after scouring the workshop for a piece of metal L shaped i found a suitable piece which came off a washing machine i think.i already had an oldish Bins mount so that could be used as well,found a suitable bolt to fix the bins mount to the L bracket and hey presto,one useable camera mount taht cost about fifteen minutes of time.

I can get upto about 30secs with the camera mounted on my normal tripod so am hoping i can get slightly longer expos while tracking on the telescope mount?

Parts needed i found.

post-23363-0-83897800-1375545809_thumb.j

Camera attached.

post-23363-0-18741600-1375545834_thumb.j

It's hard to say what improvement you might get, to be honest. The problem is that the alt-az mount maintains the orientation of the camera relative to the horizon and that isn't how the stars appear to move. It may be that it helps if you're working on a target that's close to the celestial equator, doesn't help very much at all if the target is closer to 45 degrees above the celestial equator and makes no difference if you're imaging near the celestial pole, though that may not matter because the Earth's rotation is less noticeable there per unit time anyhow.

I think I have that right. I've spent the morning going around the DIY sheds, so my brain is struggling a bit at the moment :)

James

Thanks for trying to explain James,but i have tried to understand how all the rotation works etc but my brain just can't take it in,so will just end up pointing and shooting and seeing what comes out,which is why i didn't wanna spend anything on doing this set up at the prices found.

Once i get enough funds together for an EQ mount then all will be honkydory i hope.

I am happy with the targets i have tried so far with the alt az set up so am hoping the widefields will be as good??

Archived