Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Fitting a mirror diagonal to a 10:1 focuser?

Hi,

I managed to get out last night to test the upgrade to my power distribution box after a zener diode blew in my last PWM. Whilst I was out I was also testing the guiding system after tightening up my RA and dec drive trains. Both seemed to be working okay. The only trouble was that I was having to contort myself into all sorts of positions in order to look through the ep. I have been looking at putting the mirror diagonal back on when I go visual, but it won't fit into the focuser.

The focuser is a Revelation R&P dual speed focuser and has a 2" to 1.25" adaptor but my mirror diagonal has a flanged tube with the collar to screw into the back of the OTA. This is obviously too big to go into the 2" opening in the focuser even if I could get the securing collar off.

So do I need to buy a different diagonal or can I unscrew the lower tube with the securing collar and screw in a 2" tube that will slide into the focusers opening...if you see what I mean! :icon_scratch:

You will be helping to save a middle aged man from awful neck and back pain! :grin: Not to mention the high risk of loosing my balance and falling on half of my kit!!!

Hi James, I will try and post one tonight when I get home from work, if I can, but I believe it is the one that comes with the C8 XLT.

Similar to this one: http://www.celestron.com/astronomy/celestron-2-inch-xlt-diagonal-sct.html but on mine the tube with the threaded collar (right hand side of diagonal in picture) is longer.

HTH.

Ahhh, no, I don't imagine that's ever going to fit into an R&P focuser. It's specifically designed to fit to the back of an SCT. I imagine the easy solution is to by a new (standard) diagonal.

James

You can get adapters to convert an SCT diagonal to a push fit diagonal. I have a couple myself.

I've never seen one of those. If there's enough in-focus that may well be a simple solution.

James

Thanks guys! I did wonder if there was an adaptor, but like you James, I did wonder if there would be enough adjustment on the focus.

I will have a look around and price up my various options. I may have to look like someone doing a bad Quasimodo impression until the big ol' C celebration comes around again!

Thanks again!

Have a great weekend.

In fact, I've just dug mine out and had a closer look. It turns out that the entire flanged tube and collar unscrew from the body of the diagonal quite easily, so all I need to do is turn a new tube with a suitable thread on one end to screw into the diagonal and I'm sorted :)

James

• 3 weeks later...

Nice one James! Hope you have got it sorted.

My converter works a treat and no more back breaking contortions when I want to do a bit of visual. I also now have a family friend, a collegue at work and a friend from our dance classes that are all interested in astronomy and would like to come around for a look at the stars. So now I can have my own star party and my guests can see the sights from a more comfortable position.

Thanks again for all the help guys!

Archived