NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Not a bad night

AndyWB

Well, with good skies and a slightly random day off tomorrow, it seemed a shame to not head out. I was supposed to hopefully rendezvous with dark_marc, but somehow we missed each other. Not to worry; it was such a good night I have to share it.

Anyway, the evening started with a look at Venus. Definitely gibbous, but low and boiling in poor seeing. Bit dull.

I noticed Antares was high, so I thought I'd have a look at M4 - which I could barely see in the still-dusk skies.

Then, thinking that Antares was pretty high, I went after M6 - the Butterfly Cluster. I've been chasing this for a while - and I found it. It was unimpressive at first, but as the sky got darker it became much better, and I could see the butterfly!

Of course, M7 is lower, so there is no way I could've seen that, right? Well, might as well take a look - and there it was, Ptolemy's cluster, large, loose and speckled. I didn't see the Ptolemy in it, though.

Next, I fitted my new(ish) UHC filter, as I wanted to take it for a spin. Tried for the Box Nebula - and couldn't see it. I think it's too dim, I think.

Then I decided to go for a spin round Sagittarius. I found NGC 6520, accidentally, and then moved up to M8. Wow! The Lagoon nebula looked great through the UHC filter - I could see structure in it, a dark lane crossing it.

Further up was the Triffid nebula, which looked much bigger, but didn't really get a sense of structure from it. So that was M20 and 21. I carried on up through M24, which looked very rich, and M18, to M17. Weirdly, the filter didn't seem to do a lot for this - maybe due to the swan in it being so visible already.

Finally, the Eagle nebula. Normally, I'm left unsure - a kind of 'is it my eyes or is it real'. This time, absolutely certain - I could see the nebula.

Next up, i tried for the Blinking Planetary, as a bit of a test, which I think I found, I think.

So, what more nebulae? Well, I went for the Veil - and found it easily. The western side was a clear and an obvious semicircle. The eastern side was just about visible, but to the the same extent.

Oh, and how about the North America nebula? Good grief, it's huge. I could easily see it in my scope, and follow the western edges. Absolutely huge. The Pelican Nebula was not so obvious.

Finally, I returned to Sagittarius to try for some of the Messier catalog that I'd not got yet. Found M54 - much better view than I've had before. Definite globular cluster.

Then I had a go at M69 and M70. I admit, this was messier ticking - neither had a good view in them, but I did see them both.

And then I decided to knock it off - the wind had picked up, and was causing the telescope to move, and anyway, it's late and I have to get up tomorrow.

All in all, a really good night. Very chuffed!

Lovely report good to share your enthusiasm. Looks like a trip south , all these lovely things are so low here.

Did a stunning M11 last night and everything in Cygnus was glowing or darkly defined NGC 7000, 6995,6960 and B168.

Also a few good clusters, try at x50

NGC 7243 in Lacerta, NGC 6885 in Vulpecula and NGC 7039 in Cygnus. All hopefully under

clear skies,

Nick.

Well, it's a bit of a faff having to drive for an hour to get somewhere dark - but it's fantastic when you do! Saw so much; I literally couldn't take it all in. My only disappointments - I broke my camping chair, and failing to meet up. But there'll be other chances!

Ah, on reading up, I realise I got the western and eastern veil nebulae mixed up. I should have mentioned too, I found the eastern arc without a filter - though the UHC helped give detail, and I don't think I'd have spotted the western part without it.

It was warm, clear and still last night with no moon and no biting insects! The milky Way was clear so I took the 120ED out just before midnight (after the pub quiz night). I immediately tried for M101 but this was a bit ambitious so early, before my eyes were fully dark adapted. I went over to look at the double cluster which was sparkling beautifully and then M31 and M110 was just visible so I went back to try M101 and it was there, closely followed by twin cores of M51, but the Plough was already sinking towards the trees and I had left it too late for M81 and M82. M13 followed and I failed to get M92 (a failure in my memory of its position and I did not want to use any light with an atlas to find it) and then the Ring Nebular. I then tried for the Veil with the Baader UHC-S in the ES 24mm 68*, but although I could make out the faintest nebula streak I could detect no other detail. I went to try for M33 and got it. I pottered around Cygnus after that, looking at Alberio displaying its colours well, but I could not get M27, because it was still stuck behind the roof. I went back inside about 1:45am after a truly wonderful night of viewing!

I could see the teapot lurking in the murk on the Southern horizon but have yet to point my 'scope in that direction. Sounds like I need to get the telescope to a properly dark site, but it may have to wait until next year. I reckon on a really good night (Hopefully the thunderstorm that's going on outside will clear the air a bit) I could probably see M17 and some of the other higher DSOs, but I won't bank on it.

Nice report!

DD

I could see the teapot lurking in the murk on the Southern horizon but have yet to point my 'scope in that direction. Sounds like I need to get the telescope to a properly dark site, but it may have to wait until next year. I reckon on a really good night (Hopefully the thunderstorm that's going on outside will clear the air a bit) I could probably see M17 and some of the other higher DSOs, but I won't bank on it.

Nice report!

DD

You can see quite a few of these objects in binoculars - try your 10x40s. It's a lot easier to get a clear view down to the horizon.

andrew

You can see quite a few of these objects in binoculars - try your 10x40s. It's a lot easier to get a clear view down to the horizon.

andrew

Nice tip - might try that tonight. Hoping to take the 'scope out and maybe the wife, but that could be pushing it frankly...

DD

Yup. I felts that most of the nebulae were much more obvious, with better structure, using the UHC. Only the Omega neb didn't seem much better, and that could be because the swan was already obvious.

I'm still pumped about M7 - it was only 1.5° or so above the horizon. I am lucky sometimes!

Archived