Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC 6960, the Western Veil in Cygnus, only two subs

Hi,

I took this last night as a warm up and getting the exposure and the camera orientation right for when I get a long enough clear night, I set the Artemis Capture software for 9 exposure but in half hour it had clouded over so two subs were written off and only two survived, still I processed the subs. Clearly I need longer exposure, perhaps up to 1200s and at least 25 subs to build the S/N ratio high enough. This is good for a laugh though. the subs were 600s each and guided, Atik 428 EX. Starwave, 80 ED @F5.6 and an IDAS LP V2 filter. The scope is at 440 mm focal lemgth and is the shortest that I have so getting the whole of the target on the chip is a bit of hassel but I think that it is all there just needs more rotation, the miracle is that due to the cameras sensitivity there is something there at all. The bright star in the middle is actually nothing to do with the nebula itself, it just happenes to be there in the line of sight. Unfortunately due to my poor processing skills I have lost quite a bit of the nebulasity, well one day I learn.

Regards,

A.G

post-28808-0-83753800-1375310859_thumb.j

Nice one Lens, I'm eager to get a good set of subs on this, the forecast looks quite good for the next two nights, so I'm going to have my first proper guiding session on this.

I managed to get it for the first time the other night, its been stuck behind a tree here for ages !

This is what I got

post-15851-0-66093400-1375338134_thumb.p

Its noisy as hell but I was just so chuffed to be able to capture it.

Fingers crossed al goes well tonight.

Lee

I hope

Nice one Lens, I'm eager to get a good set of subs on this, the forecast looks quite good for the next two nights, so I'm going to have my first proper guiding session on this.

I managed to get it for the first time the other night, its been stuck behind a tree here for ages !

This is what I got

post-15851-0-66093400-1375338134_thumb.p

Its noisy as hell but I was just so chuffed to be able to capture it.

Fingers crossed al goes well tonight.

Lee

Thanks Lee,

I hope that you get a clear sky tonight, I am on duty and working tonight so there is no chance of any imaging. I have had a quick reprocess of the image and although the background is darker I think it is a slightly better image, one of the two subs also had a glow around the stars so I presume that the clouds had spoilt the fun.

Reagrds,

A.G

post-28808-0-03160400-1375353338_thumb.j

Good detail showing through there for 2 subs. If you can up your sub length then that would really help pull out the fainter detail.

Hi Sara,

Many thanks, I can only try and improve , I hope so anyway.

Regards,

A.G

Good effort- I'm a big fan of single sub photo's. I find it is remarkable what modern CCD cameras can record in a short time

Hi,

I only wish the sky was bit more clear, I can't wait to give it a go with 6 or 7 1200s subs, BTW the only good thing about having an overcast day is that for the first time the flats worked as they should have as I took them during the morning.

Regards,

A.G

Archived