Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Milky Way

hi all

just wanted to put up an image i manage to get while on me last nite of hols in lanzarote, is my first attempt so be gentle lol, unfortunately the moon was out but low, & had some local light pollution to cope with so excuse the tints as still learning to use photoshop etc.

i used a nikon d3100 on a tripod, & took 20, 30 sec subs, with a 18-55 zoom (18mm used) at a FL of 3.5. also took 20 darks, 20 bias all stacked in DSS an then played with in PS & Paintshop pro

well clear skys everyone

post-31083-0-10817600-1375303961_thumb.j

Looks awesome! I'd be very happy with that! Stars are a bit streaked, but that's no surprise with a fixed tripod and 30sec sub. What ISO? For shots like these I generally like to use shorter exposure times like 15s and higher ISO with my D5100.

Looking forward to seeing more!

That's very good for a first attempt. There's a tiny bit of trailing as has already been mentioned, but when you're using a fixed tripod it's a bit trial-and-error to find the longest "safe" exposure time.

James

Looks awesome! I'd be very happy with that! Stars are a bit streaked, but that's no surprise with a fixed tripod and 30sec sub. What ISO? For shots like these I generally like to use shorter exposure times like 15s and higher ISO with my D5100.

Looking forward to seeing more!

thanks for that, need a bit more practice with finding out wots the best length subs as not had camera long but will fine tune over time. I used ISO 800 for my pics but think i will try as you suggest less exposure time with higher ISO

That's very good for a first attempt. There's a tiny bit of trailing as has already been mentioned, but when you're using a fixed tripod it's a bit trial-and-error to find the longest "safe" exposure time.

James

thank you also, deffinately trial and error for sure, thanks for the feedback

thanks for that, need a bit more practice with finding out wots the best length subs as not had camera long but will fine tune over time. I used ISO 800 for my pics but think i will try as you suggest less exposure time with higher ISO

With a Canon camera I'd probably not go above ISO800. I don't know if the Nikons are any better in terms of noise at higher ISO settings.

James

well I was advised to read the book every photon counts, which is written in lamens terms and he said that he uses an ISO 800 for his shots but that was his personal choice so thought id give it a go, think if id of done some more subs mite of gotten a bit more detail out of it, but am willing to experiment.

Archived