Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Awkward trees

Jiggy 67

At the rear of my back garden there is a small copse with mature trees that block a lot of my view to the East. I accept that there is nothing I can do about that, I wouldn't expect the council to cut these down for just me and I wouldn't want them to. However to the Left, there are two very high trees that tower above the rest and restrict my view to the South, obviously the most important view. I'm considering approaching the council with a request to lop the tops of these trees, not cut them down, just reduce their height. Has anyone got any experience of this or any advice as to how to approach the council, I'm worried that as soon as I mention the word astronomy they will dismiss me outright

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you dont want to mention Astronomy, and i dont blame you. You can try and ask if they can be trimmed to the height of the other trees, so they fit in better, or state your worried about if they fall they might damage your property or surrounding property (if they are close enough).

Are they on council land or are they in someones garden or property? Which would techically make them that property owners responsibility if they are.

It's council land. It's a shame that we have to worry about mentioning our hobby for fear of not being taken seriously. This does have a serious impact on my enjoyment of a perfectly legal pastime

You could also say you saw them moving around violently last time there was strong wind. State you are concerned they might fall over and cause property damage and pose a potential threat to life

Oooh...I like that one

There was a giant tree out the back of my dad's house that lost a reasonable sized branch in a storm last year and it came down on a path. No one was injured but the council came around, clean up the branch and then took the tree down for good measure. My dad gained about 40% more of his current south vista as a result. the tree was in front of a lamp post though and now that's in clear view of his garden so it's win and loss for him.

Archived