NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Calling All EQ5 Owners - Help Needed

Alkaid

Hi all,

I am currently in possession of an EQ5 clone - the German manufactured Astro-5 mount (now dis-continued). It was distributed by Telescope Service of Germany a few years back. I am wanting to upgrade this Astro-5 unit with the Skywatcher Synscan upgrade.

The EQ5 and Astro-5 are very, very similar. But there could be subtle dimensional differences of which I am unaware. For example, I have already found that my AZ4 head does not fit the Astro-5 tripod.

The motor mounting holes appear to be the same and I am farly confident that the Synscan motors will bolt into place on the Astro-5. What is bothering me is the wrap around plastic housing which houses the Synscan electronics. I don't know if this will wrap around the Astro-5.

Can anyone run a tape measure around the RA axis of their EQ5 where this plastic shrouding would fit? A simple circumference measurement would really help me to establish things.

Thanks for your help - Steve

I think that measurement must be taken without plastic housing. I have just sold mine eq5, so unfortunately can not help, but remember that there is an issue with eq5 clones and fitting synscan upgrade.

Archived