Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Registax won't stack my CR2 or TIFs

Really struggling with both Reg5 and Reg6.

Fine with AVIs but trying to stack say 20 shots from my DSLR of the full moon when I follow the guide I have all the processes happen but once optimise and stack are done I get an image of the moon which is all blurred and with overlaps - see image attached!

Please if someone can solve this I would be very grateful as I am dying to stack my moon captures!!

Regards

Bob

Ps anyone got a registax 5 or 6 idiots guide?!post-26268-137453676515_thumb.jpg

Though in the main I don't have any trouble I still do, once in a while, get images that just won't align correctly first time. Generally these seem to be from imaging runs when conditions are significantly less than ideal -- when the seeing is very poor or the sky is too light and so on. It can be a real pig when that happens. Finding a different reference frame or using a different number of stacking points, stacking a different number of frames or using fewer (or more) frames to start with can help, but I also sometimes resort to using Registax v5. You get a better feel for what you might be able to do to fix things as you get more practised at processing the ones that do work out.

James

DSS is great for the deep space stuff as its name implies , but it is of no use when it comes to Lunar or Solar imaging.

As Steve said. DSS likes to be able to find things that look like stars in the image (and it's reasonably fussy about what a star is, too) to align the images for stacking. The Moon or one very big star won't satisfy it :)

James

Though in the main I don't have any trouble I still do, once in a while, get images that just won't align correctly first time. Generally these seem to be from imaging runs when conditions are significantly less than ideal -- when the seeing is very poor or the sky is too light and so on. It can be a real pig when that happens. Finding a different reference frame or using a different number of stacking points, stacking a different number of frames or using fewer (or more) frames to start with can help, but I also sometimes resort to using Registax v5. You get a better feel for what you might be able to do to fix things as you get more practised at processing the ones that do work out.

James

As well as the usual histogram stretch in PIPP, I have found that using just the red channel when converting the raw images to monochrome TIFFs can really help with the alignment.in RegiStax.

Cheers,

Chris

Archived