Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

QHY5 II issue

WyomingRob

I have recently purchased a QHY5 II to use as an autoguider.

Camera is working great, but ASCOM will not move the mount in calibration.

It continues to repeat error messages, and nothing else.

My question is, am I missing something on the mount, or have something mis-loaded in the PHD program?

Or am I setting the wrong mount type?

It is being used on a LXD55, pier mount, with an AstroTech AT6RC scope for imaging.

I am using the QHY5 II on the guide scope to autoguide.

Thanks for any ideas as to where to look next.

Rob C.

First thing is how do you have it connected? If you have a ST4 cable from the camera to the mount, check that you have On Camera menu selected for controlling the mount in PHD. I've missed that one myself

If you are guiding via ASCOM, It may be worth using ASCOM based application to see if you can move the mount manually using cursor keys

Cheers John

Thanks for the reply.

I set up ASCOM because I was told I needed it.

If I don't, I can remove that part and use just the On Camera.

As it is now, when I put it to On Camera, ASCOM tries to take over, and control the mount.

As you advise, I have all the cables you mentioned, hooked up and properly in place.

Thanks, Rob C.

Hi Rob, You may still need ASCOM for getting images off the camera if you have that selected. But i notice that QHY5L II support is now directly in PHD 1.14.2 in pre-releases. So you might be able to remove it .

Good luck

John

Well, I think I found the right combination.

I got it to guide correctly in PHD, but it wouldn't lock on and track right.

So I went back to Maxim DL, and loaded it up under ASCOM.

It took off, calibrated with a perfect "L".

Now to "refine" the tracking, and hope things hold.

Wasted a night, but think that it will come back and be worth the effort.

Thanks for the suggestions, John.

Rob C.

Back to issues...

After all that work, I powered up everything with the hopes of a good night.

Beautiful clear Wyoming sky, very minor light pollution (where I am, anyway), and nothing wanted to work!!

Maxim recognized the QHY, SBIG worked, but NO tracking!!

As I said, Maxim "seen" the QHY, but would not download the tracking image. It just kept saying " Reading CCD camera"

5 minutes, then 10, nothing.

Went back to PHD, got an image, but it wouldn't track Dec.

Checked cables, even changed them, no go.

So, went back to Maxim (via ASCOM), on a different laptop.

Got tracking, then on one calibration, the mount "took off" in dec, and I had a brief "runaway".

It almost put my camera into the pier.

When it stopped back in the opposite direction, it was way past the point I had started.

I ended up realigning the mount, but it would not hold dec tracking.

It was like the stars were streaking across the tracking display.

That indicated to me, that the mount was still being moved in dec without being told to.

The hand control still moves the mount in all directions just fine, but something in the program, or other, is still telling the mount to move in dec.

I've removed Maxim and the QHY programs, and reinstalled them today, and will see what happens.

If anyone has any ideas, I'm getting desparate!!

2 weeks, without a single image..

Rob C.

I had a similar problem with the QHY5L-II locking up MaximDL.

Exposed then locked up on download.

Had to "force shut-down" MaximDL & reload. Frustrated me and I lost a complete imaging session.

I re-loaded the latest QHY5L-II drivers and it's now working a treat. Guiding via guider cable

and dithering via MaximDL.

Hope this helps...

Steve

Got everything "talking" and moving in PHD tonight, but the graph was very strange.

Instead of the dec graph over the RA graph, the dec graph move up and down over the RA graph.

Much like a sine wave moves up and down over the center line in a rolling wave.

Almost like the dec was sticking and then pulling free, but no sticking could be detected when I moved it by hand.

I did notice that it had become considerably nose heavy on the dec axis.

I check this pretty often as a matter of course, but always during the day, when it is warm.

So, remembering my education, metal expands when warm, contracts when cold, I concluded that by checking it during the heat of day would give me a false sense of balance, as the melal would become "sticky" from expansion, and, of course, loosen as it got cold.

So, now I am wondering if this imbalance would account for the dec portion of the graph being erratic?

Rob C.

I recently bought a QHY5-ii for autoguiding too. Shortly after setting it up I had a lot of guiding issues, in both RA and dec, but these largely turned out to be because I'd got the mount balance too good. Getting the weight slightly (but not too much) off centre on both axes has sorted everything out and now I'm getting excellent guiding.

Checked mount again.

Made sure the mount move easily. and all is balanced again.

I will test your advice concerning the weight placement.

I've heard this before from another friend, so anything, at this point, is worth a shot.

I'm so close, I can "smell" it.

I do pay close attention to any and all ideas, so thanks to all.

Rob C.

Still having tracking issues in the dec range. Think I may be off on polar alignment, which can cause those issues.

Will put PemPro on the problem as soon as I am able to.

Had back surgery this Monday past, and it will be at least 4 weeks before I can lift anything over 10 lbs.

And wouldn't you know it, my roof isn't motorized. I'm going to fix that problem, too!!

I got the QHY to work under both Maxim and PHD, so I am by that issue.

Thanks to all for you input, it really helped me "lock down" the problem.

Rob C.

Looks like I've beat this problem, now on to the next.

But that one will involve PemPro, I think.

Believe my polar alignment is off a wee bit.

PemPro should fix that.

But all will have to wait until my lower back heals from the surgery.

But want to get back to things ASAP.

Thanks to all.

ROB C>

Archived