NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Helios 15x70 Apollo finally arrived!

Matt2011

My Helios Apollo 15x70 Binoculars arrived this morning and so far very impressed with the quality. I bought a L adaptor and a L bracket to mount them on my Orion Optics Vixen Portable Deluxe Alt Azimuth mount but the only snags with this set up I immediately noticed was when viewing targets high up which did cause neck strain and a little uncomfortable at certain angles and the mount 's legs seem to cause dufficulties when observing high up. Looked at some deep sky objects like M13 and the Andromeda Galaxy and Alcor and Mizar with exceptional views. Saw Venus or it could of been Mercury at sunset low down and managed to seen an out of focus branch from some bushes but would like to know if this is normal to see an out of focus object in the field of view like a twig or a tree/branch while viewing an in focus planet or star. Th mount is OK when your not observing very high up objects above but otherwise it can be uncomfortable with the neck and certsin angles. I packed up and left the lens caps of the Helios Apollo 15x70s as there seemed to be some damp condensation on them so will put the caps on when the damp condensation goes. Think the Monopod or Manfrotto option for the binos maybe a good option for me now.

Sun lounger works for me, as long as you don't fall asleep.

Nice set up you have Matt, you will get lot's of enjoyment

from your new kit, you are right leaving your bins to dry

naturally, never wipe or touch the lens.

Enjoy and Clear Sky's

Thanks guys and I was very impressed with some of the images with these Helios 15x70mm Apollo's and the mount which I use is used with a Skywwatcher 127mm Skymax Msksutov. Only problem is when observing high up objects like Vega and other objects which are high up as you end up squating while looking through them and you tend to get beck ache and its quite uncomfortable in long periods. I am probably goibg to go for the set ulp which a monopodto avoid getting a crinked neck and would like to know the pros and cons of a monopod set up with the Helios Apollo 15x70s . I tried to handheld them but arm sche soon sets in lol. I bought these from The Widescreen Center in London as everywhere else is sold out and tried FLO but think there still having batch issues unfortunately as I normally buy from them who are a first class supplier. Paid £300 for mine at The Widescreen Center in London plus I had to get a L adaptor and L bracket to mount them on my Oruon Optics Deluxe Vixen Portable Alt Azimuth mount. Going to be using them tonight and will report more on how I am getting on with them. Would recommend these very highly and there expensive but quality does come at a cost. :) :) Matt

Not too sure If I am able too but I will hsve a look and see if I am able to do this. I am finding it hard to view objects high up like tje Milky way and objects very high up. Loved viewing the double cluster in Perseus. and a splendid view.

Archived