Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

cigarette lighter plug

Demonperformer

I am considering putting together a unified mains power supply for all my astro gear for safety. I need one 19v output (for the laptop). All the internet info I can find on the cigarette lighter plugs state 12v, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience/knowledge of whether they are safe to use for a 19v circuit?

Thanks.

BTW: it would be 19v 2.1A, if that makes a difference. Thx

I would look at a cig lighter socket and think, as most everyone would...... 12 volt.

Might be a good idea to use a different type of connector, so as not to make a mistake

and possibly damage a device plugged onto it ? ? ?

Valid point, Mike. As there are going to be a total of 4 devices plugged in, three of which will be 12v, I was thinking in terms of either having this one on the other end of the box, or even just painting a yellow ring around it, to identify it as different. However, as one of the 12v devices is going to be my new £1k mount, I definitely take your point about not wanting to fry the electrics on that.

A good alternative to a cig plug is the XLR plugs/sockets.

I use these at work on 12V / 24V vehicles, and other applications. They need to be soldered but are very strong, take a lot of current and are lockable.

cig plug tend to be cheaply made, phono plugs (as used in dew heaters etc) can lead to other problems, as can the simple d.c. "jack" plugs which tend to be easy to pull out and can bend etc.

+1 for the XLR Plugs & Sockets. I have changed all my cigarette lighter sockets for these and had no problems whatsoever.

They can come in a variety of colours which can help distinguish your different hardware.

cheers

Steve

The Cig plug/socket really are poor - I work on an airfield and the amount of amber flashing lights with cig plugs that come in for repair is unbelievable.

I use the XLR plugs on most things now and have so far (touch wood) not had any issues whatever.

I think the main problem is that unless there is some sort of locking clip then any plug will work loose, bend or snap over time.

Archived