Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

July 8, 2013: Lovely solar lunchtime, big proms showing

Just had my usual lunch break with the little LS35. In the 24mm a couple of big proms were immediately evident. The lower half of the western limb showed a complex set of proms, quite massive, and with intricate details. The eastern limb also showed several nice ones. To the north, one linear prom stood straight out from the sun, to the south two almost interlocking arcs showed. Several smaller proms dotted the remainder of the limb. The surface showed massive amounts of detail around AR 1785 and 1787 on the southern hemisphere. The northern hemisphere showed two long filaments, which have been hovering around there for days, despite the absence of any visible activity in white light. Very interesting. The usual gang of colleagues and students came to have a look. Great fun all round

I have several other reports to make since last Thursday, but I have not found time to post them yet. I hope to do so later today

Thanks for the report Michael. It is bright but hazy cloud here at the moment. I'm hoping to see more sun later :-) I too have a couple of reports (including a first light report on the SF70) to post later.

Helen

Thanks for the heads up Michael. I had a look on Gong, but didn't really see too many proms. It has been foggy all day, the sun has just started to burn the mist off, but we still have a lot of cloud. My scope is in the car, so hopefully late afternoon.

Robin

I had a peek at lunchtime too, but with hazy cloud I couldn't make out any proms.... The big sunspot group was still impressive though (I'd also set it up in the school playground so I ended up with quite an audience... who all wanted a look too!! What seemed to impress them the most was the fact the image was surrounded by black... As one child said "that was the actual real sun... The one in space!!" At which point we had to have a little talk about how the sun in the sky is the same one that's in space!! Anyway now I'm home, the cloud is beginning to thin and I can just make out a few of the proms (one looks particularly cool... Like an erupting volcano or a tree with lots of fine branches!!)

Archived