NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M57 - 02/07/13

Well this was my first real play with my new Canon 450D, its not yet been modded but wanted to try it out. Had some trouble getting the scope aligned, but the Polar Alignment seems to be the best I've gotten it so far.

I'm happy with how the focusing came out also, the live view really does help with focusing. Details are below.

200p/HEQ5

Canon 450D DSLR

120 x 30secs lights

30 x 30secs darks

30 x 1/4000th sec bias

ISO800

Unguided.

Thanks for looking, Any tips etc welcome

Matt

post-21702-0-04681800-1373226018_thumb.j

post-21702-0-15395900-1373226028_thumb.j

I really like that - I'd like to have a go at M57 but I think it might be a challenge due to my scope only having 480mm focal length.

One question, I see you've taken 30 bias frames. I've seen comments elsewhere saying that it isn't necessary to take bias frames on Canon DSLR's as they do this automatically each time a picture is taken? I don't know whether that's correct or not, but I dare say someone will be along to clarify :)

I'm not sure on the bias frames to be honest, I've been told to always take them, so always have lol. I know a friend who also takes them on his Canon. Hopefully someone will be along to clarify it because i would like to know that.

Thanks for the kind comments.

I'm not sure on the bias frames to be honest, I've been told to always take them, so always have lol. I know a friend who also takes them on his Canon. Hopefully someone will be along to clarify it because i would like to know that.

Thanks for the kind comments.

That will be me. I take them because I was told to take them but if this is not necessary then I will be keen to hear that to..:)

• 2 weeks later...

Nice one, they are really good and an inspiration!

i have only just got my new scope and have been trying for the last 3 nights to get a picture of M57. I can find it on my 150pds and see it clearly but when I connect my 450D I can't see anything in my live view :-(

The best I get is a black screen and a 30 sec exposure shows the mirrors!?

I have a T ring and I am using the SW Barlow body (with lens removed) to Attach the camera. How do you connect and what settings do you use on the 450?

Sorry for all the newbie questions!

I really like that - I'd like to have a go at M57 but I think it might be a challenge due to my scope only having 480mm focal length.

One question, I see you've taken 30 bias frames. I've seen comments elsewhere saying that it isn't necessary to take bias frames on Canon DSLR's as they do this automatically each time a picture is taken? I don't know whether that's correct or not, but I dare say someone will be along to clarify :)

you don't need bias frames if you are doing dark frame subtraction because dark frames include bias, but i do flats as well. well done for your image as well!

Nice one, they are really good and an inspiration!

i have only just got my new scope and have been trying for the last 3 nights to get a picture of M57. I can find it on my 150pds and see it clearly but when I connect my 450D I can't see anything in my live view :-(

The best I get is a black screen and a 30 sec exposure shows the mirrors!?

I have a T ring and I am using the SW Barlow body (with lens removed) to Attach the camera. How do you connect and what settings do you use on the 450?

Sorry for all the newbie questions!

how are you focusing? try taking a image of the moon first with your set up it is pretty much unmissable. get some practice on that, then return to the ring you can even mark your focusers draw tube so you know roughly where the focus point is going to be.

You wont be able tonsee anything on your live view. Or i cant anyway. I slew to Vega for example, wbixh youll be able tp see in live view as its bright, focus by zooming in x10. Then dont touch the focusser.

Slew back to M57. Take a 10sec exposure to see where it is. Then move it to the middle and go for 30s.

I would do as suggested above, try to focus on the Moon. I have read some places that the 150p doesnt have enough focus travel for a DSLR. But i may be wrong. If you take a 30second exposure it should show stars at least.

Thanks all,

My mistake, I don't have a T ring but just the connector/converter for the Cannon, I then screw the Barlow body into the connector. The Moon is far too low for me from my viewing location at the moment so that just makes the entire thing more frustrating :-(

Matt, do you see Vega without using the digital zoom, can you see the Ring with x10 on the live view? I have read about the focus travel on the 150P but the PDS has this fixed so it shouldn't be that.

Thanks,

Archived