NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How (not) to process a Solar Mosaic

Believe it or not this is one of my better attempts at making a White light Solar Mosaic. I just can't seem to get rid of the blotches where the panes overlap. This one was75% merged in MS ICE and the two top panes were added manually in PS - ICE wouldn't touch them, presumably because there were no "details" to match up with? The usual "orqange paint" just makes things easier to see on the screen!

Any ideas as to how i can get this right?

post-4502-0-21629200-1373198062_thumb.jp

This is a Full disc DSLR from the same session:

post-4502-0-17815400-1373198128_thumb.jp

Can't help you there Roger . . . :embarassed:

I've tried and failed miserably on numerous times now to put together a hi-res disc with the Mak at 1.8x , the detail is there but the differences in shade/contrast beat me every time .

I watched a PS tutorial on YT a while ago that showed how to even out the individual frames for a mosaic , just got to find it now .

Thanks for those two links.

Steve the Video shows a technique that nearly works! It was OK as long as there was some part of a spot in frame, it couldn't cope with the top two frames where there was no spot and simply insisted that i didn't have "at least a 40% overlap between frames".

Kev I'm sure you have suggested good software but I'm not prepared to pay for it! My whole disc DSLR images will have to do. Maybe if (when?) I get Ha kit the photoshop technique will work.

Mark Townley has a tutorial on Ha processing that might help. I think it involves blurring the original image to get rid of the fine detail and then subtracting it from the original.

James

Can you post a single image from the mosaic Roger. It might help to assess the problem. Personally, I think that you are on a hiding to nothing unless you can get perfectly even illumination across each frame. I struggle to get my Ha images even and they always have blotchy joins. The more panes in the mosaic, the worse it is. Look at the mosaic i posted tonight and you'll see what I mean.

Archived