NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Quick HEQ5 pro question

Hi all

when I'm going to polar align tonight do I do it with weights and scope on? Might sound silly, I just wanna be sure I thought doing it without the extra weight of the counter weights and cope might have an effect later on

whats people's thoughts?

Thanks

Chris

I also do it without weights , less stress when moving the head, check after fitting to see if its moved, its unlikely unless you set up on very soft ground.

Hi Chris,

As Peter posts above, it's safest and easiest to polar align with the tube and weights removed, there's always the chance the tube will hit the mount while you are rotating the RA axis in the dark.

For visual observing the alignment will still be accurate enough even if the mount does flex away from the polar axis once you fit the tube and weights, remember to fit the counterweight first!!!

For astrophotography the little EQ5 polar scope will only get you reasonably close to the pole anyway, enough say for two or three minute exposures, I always need to refine the polar alignment using the drift method after using the polar scope.

William

Here's a link to a web document at Ian King Imaging that describes drift alignment, it's a difficult concept to get your head around the first time you read it and takes for ever the first time you try it.

http://www.iankingim...ticle.php?id=11

Once you have used it a few times though and had some practice you can usually get a good enough polar alignment for 10 minute or more exposures after about twenty minutes work, essential for getting the very best out of your HEQ5.

Best of luck with the imaging....

William.

I also agree on aligning without an OTA and weights. It's so much easier. If you're not drift-aligning afterwards, just have a last quick check that everything is still aligned after you've put the weights and OTA back on.

James

One more quick question, which number on my hand set gives the position of Polaris on the clock, might seem stupid question again, is it the numbers next to HA or next to clock, I feel really silly for asking tbh I just wanna be sure then do I need to put Polaris on the outer circle at that time and do alignment?

Archived