NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dropped my CG-5 GT and need help fixing it

I stupidly managed to drop my CG-5 GT mount and have damaged it, or more specifically, damaged the DEC motor housing. It now won't move in DEC, but will still slew and track in RA.

I tried to open the mount to see what the problem is but I'm already stuck. The Dec motors are in a plastic case that's in two halves. There are 2 screws that hold the two halves together which I can undo, but the two sides of the case are held together by what looks like a spring. This spring is situated in a raised bit at the top of the DEC housing, next to the dovetail slot. This is also the area that got damaged when I dropped it and some of this bit of plastic has a chip out of it.

Any advice on how to proceed? Should I just pull it apart? Should I call Adam Hinds and ask if he can fix it? Help!

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers, Martin

• 4 weeks later...

Many moons later I have fixed it. Dead simple really, but waited until I got the new motor housing from that nice Mr Hinds chap. Problem was a loose connection between the dec port and the motor. Now if only those clouds would go away........

Cheers, Martin

Good News Martin.. Thought you had been a bit quiet recently (depression due to broken Mount - Score that with a HADS then :rolleyes: - about 14 on the depression score and 11 on the anxiety score?).

May see you Saturday if the clouds part and we are both at Harperigg.

Tom

Archived