NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

dark skies above the Isles of Scilly

We're just back from another lovely week on St Agnes, Isles of Scilly, and this year I took my binoculars with me. Although the days were mainly clear and sunny, we only had one decently clear evening but as this occured at new moon we were in for a bit of a treat. The transparency was good all the way down to the horizon and by 11:30 pm I managed to see the globular cluster M4 shortly followed by another globular cluster M19 - which was at approximately the same elevation above the horizon and a short sweep to the left. I then swept slowly further to the left and was amazed at my first views of the open cluster M21 along with M20, the trifid nebula, and M8, the lagoon nebula, all comfortably within the field of view. Quite a stunning sight and much more vivid than I was expecting. I then followed a line of other Messier objects (which I didn't identify as I was getting fed up of wrecking my night vision looking at Stellarium on my laptop) up and to the left until I reached M11, the wild duck cluster. Such a rich area that is extremely impressive and gave up more and more as the sky steadily grew darker after midnight. I then visited M27, the dumbbell nebula, for the first time this year and this planetary nebula just leaped out against the incredibly dark sky. We then just soaked in the general view of the milky way without the binoculars and marveled at how bright it appears without the LP we get at home. The region around Cygnus was just awe inspiring and the gap between the North American nebula and the Pelican nebula could easily be seen with the naked eye. A great evening for both me and Mrs WaveSoarer, and all with the sound of the sea lapping the shore just a few metres away.

The following evening got cloudy just after sunset but I did manage to see the famous "green flash" as the top of the disk of the sun just dipped below the horizon - another first for me (though I stress this was without the bins of course).

Bet they were great. It does become a source of frustration that its so infrequent that we get a chance to get under really dark skies.

I manage some time in Dorset each year which is pretty good. Best skies were Tanzania though, but that's a once in a lifetime experience. Hopefully you'll be able to get back to the islands at some point? Maybe with a little scope?

Stu

Dave, yes it was amazing, although I perhaps didn't get the best out of the stargazing opportunities. Our camp was amongst trees so getting a clear view was quite difficult, as was getting yourself orientated because everything was upside down (ish!). Not wanting to get eaten by anything also makes it hard to concentrate on the stars completely!

I took the WO66 with me and had some fabulous views of M8 and M20 and the surrounding areas/objects. Probably similar to the views through an 8" at home.

I managed to get the WO66, quite a few eps and filters, plus a tripod and head out there, and that included a number of flights on single engine planes, one as small as four seats! Probably broke all the hand baggage rules, had a 22t4 Nagler in my jacket pocket going through check in, but got away with it. Well worth it so have a think for next time. Even something like an ST80 is worth it I reckon.

Stu

What a difference a dark sky makes, bin's are so transportable, I do a lot

of travelling myself, and always take a pair of 12x50s, which I use day and

night, sounds like you had at least one night to remember, sometimes you get

none, the LP around here is quite bad, I would never see anything low to the

horizon so I must get to the Isles of Scilly some time soon, thank's for sharing

your great night with us, very envious.

Clear Sky's

Thats a great observing session - amazing what you saw even with just the eye. It's a shame the area around sagittarius is so low as it's stunning, but at least you had a better view down on the island. Wonder what the winter nights are like !

andrew

Archived