Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Another beginers DSO the "Dumbbell Nebulae"

Ultrapenguin

Hello fellow stargazers, in my continuing quest to explore what I can see in my SW150PL with EQ3-2 mount I have captured another "easy" DSO. I have to say thsi one took some finding as I have no goto star hoping was the only way and i have been looking for quite some time. I can however report that even under light poluted sky the nebulae is easily visable in the 150PL infact you wonder how you have managed to miss it for the last 8 weeks!

Anyway 10 x 30 second subs 2 x darks all stacked in Deepsky stacker by a complete novice!

Dumbbell%20Nebulae.png

I use a Canon 300d at prime focus unguided, because the 150PL is a f8 scope i am limited to 30-60 second subs and to be honest even with carefull alignment 30 seconds is the most for relaible subs. I am considering getting the goto fitted to my EQ3-2 but I am not sure if this will allow me to do longer subs, I think long term it will as it has a guide port and i could add guidng to the setup, it will certainly make finding the objects easier I have been looking for this object for quite some time but under heavy light polution it is not always obvious.

A really excellent start and a good choice of object. You have good star colours and no mistaking the shape of this popular object. As others have said, all you need now is more data to start revealing more of the data.

Yes, you have lots of key things in place here. Focus, colour balance and reasonable tracking. That is already an achievement. With a better mount you could go for longer subs. This is vital if you want to go deep and reduce noise.

Olly

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/22435624_WLMPTM#!i=2277139556&k=FGgG233

Archived