Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

BIG prom - 7/6/13

Gregnat73

HI

Just had a quick peek through my PST an spotted a very big prom (certainly the biggest I've seen in the few months I've had the scope) Just thought I'd give people a heads up as it looks absolutely stunning almost changing shape as I watch (and looks like it might break away) Makes me wish I had a decent camera (or decent sketching skills) Maybe someone else will capture it...

There was a prominence there this earlier this morning, but it really grown! Thanks for the warning :-)

I picked something up on my VLF monitoring too at around 9:30 UTC, and the GOES X-Ray satellite measurement show a matching flare. I wonder if this activity could all be connected.

That's definitely the coolest thing I've seen through a scope yet.... Just the way it changed shape and now part of it seems to be slowly floating off as now more proms seem to be appearing in the area!! Unfortunately the sun's going out of sight over the rooftop and I'm supposed to be going out.... but it'll be great later to see if I can find out exactly what was happening!

I have seen it during a scandalously extended lunch break. I could not leave, as half of the Kapteyn Astronomical Institute joined in to see :D, plus many colleagues. Really stunning prom. I also tried out my 24mm MaxVision 68 deg EP and it was awesome. The longest EP I had used so far in the little Lunt was an XW10 at 40x, as the longer EPs are all 2" (or 2" 1.25" hybrid) which wont fit. As the XW10 fits the sun in the FOV very easily, I had never considered going lower. The 24mm showed me I was wrong to think that that would not be useful. The fainter parts of the proms stood out magnificently. Great fun!!

Archived