SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Using a NEQ6 synscan controller on a HEQ5 syntrek

JamesF

I believe this should be possible, but the NEQ6 synscan handset comes with a DB-9 connector on the mount end of the handset connector cable and the HEQ5 has an RJ45 connector. As the synscan handset has an RJ45 connector on the other end, presumably it should just be a case of making up a suitable cable with RJ45 connectors at both ends? But what is the pin-out?

James

I'm not sure I see the information I need on that page, Chris. It gives the pinout on the mount side, but I need the pinout on the synscan handset side as well?

I'm guessing it will either be a straight through cable or a "normal" ethernet patch cable pinout (in fact that may make no odds), but I wouldn't bet a mount's electronics on it :)

James

Aha! Looking at the pinout of the DB9 connector I have tested my NEQ6 cable and it appears to have the same pinout as the RJ45 connector for the HEQ5 Pro. That suggests to me that the pinout of both ends of the RJ45 is the same and that a standard cat5 patch cable would be suitable to connect the synscan handset to the HEQ5.

James

I guess of course the other obvious solution is to ask a HEQ5 Pro Synscan owner if their handset cable has the coloured sleeves on the wires in the same order at both ends. And in fact, thinking about it some more that would be an eminently sensible solution because it means the cable is reversible.

James

Lovely. Very handily I've just found a 2m cat5 patch cable, too. Saves me hunting for the stranded RJ45 plugs because I think the ones I've found are for solid core.

James

Archived