SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Some new glass (got carried away)

I am considering a 7mm xw as that would give me 170x which is my most used high mag with the odd exception. Can you notice any difference in colour between the tv's and the pentax.

The difference is so negligible as to say the only choice is personal preference a couple of years ago at a starparty rikm had a couple of delos and xw's in a head to head 3 of us had a look and I don't think any of us agreed entirely on the best eyepiece and focal length views of objects 2 of us gave it to the delos by a very short nose on colour as the delos was to our eyes very slightly more neutral (cooler) all agreed that the effect was so marginal as it could be put down to the "televue effect" which is an astronomers version of the placibo effect

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All the tests I have seen place the XWs on a par with the Delos. The only reason I have XWs is that they came up second-hand, and that 7mm is not available in the Delos range. I find 7mm a very useful focal length.

The reason I got delos and XW mix is simply the focal lengths available meant that the even numbers, delos and odd numbers, pentax. Like the others have said, I would say they are both amazingly good and give fantastic views with no discernible difference between either. Both are clear accross the full FOV and can only repeat myself by saying they are both fantastic.

The feel of either in your hand is similar although the delos does just feel slightly more substantial. I think I prefer the eye guard on the Pentax over the Delos as it is a screw up type rather than a slide up and lock as with the delos. However i love both, I only raise the eyeguards a smidgeon as I wear specs anyway and so it really doesnt matter to be honest. As will anyone, find the optimum height, set it and forgt it.

Along with michael i can see the 7mm Pentax getting an awful lot of use however had the conditions been slightly better the other night all 4 would have gotten used but weather conditions is something none of us can do anything about.

If you need a 7mm EP Foundaplanet, then you certainly wont go wrong with the Pentax. If/when you need a 6, then a delos will also be perfect.

Cheers Baz, the eye cup thing is another thing I have been reading about with the Delos and many seem to say the same as you and prefer the Pentax cup, I guess you just get used to that after a period. The other thing I read is they are more prone to blackouts than the Pentax, maybe this is something else that just takes a bit of getting used to.

Archived