Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A pleasant evening with the mk I eyeball

JamesF

Last night turned out to be very clear after an unpromising forecast, and I ended up mostly imaging. I was using fairly short exposures and there wasn't much time to get settled in with another scope so I just spent a happy three hours lying back in a reclining chair next to the laptop looking at the sky. I did have to wait for 11:30-ish before the skies got properly dark. A sign of how close we are to midsummer, I guess. Who'd have thought it?

I picked out a number of satellite passes including a very bright Iridium flare with a predicted magnitude of -7.6 (according to Heavens Above) and watched the ISS cross the entire sky from western horizon to eastern. Saw a nice meteor pass through Corona Borealis too. As the morning drew on the Milky Way rose out of the murk on the horizon and plenty of other old friends with it -- Cygnus, obviously, Lyra, Aquila, the Coathanger and so many others. It was a real pleasure to see them for the first time this year. Gives me renewed energy to get out there observing again.

James

Last night was good, I could see Saturn from my bedroom window. Unfortunately I'm biting my fingers looking at this beautiful sky while my mount is in the ''capable hands'' of Skywatchers...almost 3 weeks now :( And yes, a couple of weeks more and the day will stop getting any longer, static for a week, then getting shorter again :)

I was only out for a couple of hours imaging early last night (work in the morning and that) but had quite a similar experience. Theres always something up there waiting to give you another kick of enthusiasm :)

Archived